Graphics Card for 3 Monitors

Dalez

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hey, I've recently decided to get 3 monitors onto my computer. I currently have 2 and due to the work I do, have no space with the 2 monitors I use, so a 3rd will be ideal.

I currently have the GTX 560ti, which performs nicely and gives me alright frame rates on games such as WoW, Guild Wars 2 and Minecraft.

I want a new graphics card that is just as powerful as the 560ti, if not more, that also lets me use 3 monitors. Not sure if one graphics card would be better, or if I SLI'ed them.

Are you planning on triple monitor gaming?

If so, sell your GTX560ti in favor of a GTX670 or better. It will support three monitors, and you need a fair amount of extra horsepower to support 6m pixels for gaming.

If you only need the display space, just buy an inexpensive $30 graphics card and attach your third/fourth monitor there.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
triple monitor gaming is hugely taxing, as said above you will need a 670GTX or better. The 7970 has great scalling at high resolutions, would recommend it especially since the price drops.

Dalez

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I'm not planning on triple monitor gaming, just gaming on one monitor (WoW or GW2) and then web browsing/Minecraft on the other 2 monitors.

And I'm currently looking into the 670, but how does that compare to the 560? (I'm guessing much much better?)

If you are happy with your current performance, keep the GTX560ti. From a gaming point of view, a GTX670 is a nice jump.
You can use the extra horsepower for more eye candy, or beter fps.

I would not contemplate sli if you can avoid it.
Read this on microstuttering:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

If you stick with the GTX560ti, buy an inexpensive $30 nvidia card to attach the extra monitor. (Nvidia, not amd, so you can use the same drivers).
You might even attach a second monitor to it to leave all of the GTX560ti resources available to your primary gaming monitor.

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
If you want something considerably cheaper than the 670, that will run 3 monitors and give a performance boost (albeit not that much) look into the HD 7850.

HOWEVER, Nvidia are due to release ther 6xx series midr ange cards in august, therefore you are better off waiting for 2-3 weeks and then taking advantage of the price drops.

Dalez

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Thanks guys.

I think that I want the performance boost so I'll go with the 670, and I'll wait for the price drop.

Thanks again guys :)

You will be pleased.
But, I would not expect any price drops for the GTX670.
It is currently selling well.

Price drops are occuring now, to clear out inventory, for the nvidia cards that the GTX660 series will replace.
If the GTX660 prices are agressive enough, you may see matching prices for the 7850 and similar cards.
The high end will not see any price adjustment until there is something better to compete with them.