MightyMoose

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I'm looking to get a new Graphics card for my Dell Dimension E521 but i don't have the slightest idea of where to start.
Ive been wanting to upgrade for a while now but ive manage to put up with running games on low settings at 15 fps however some games wont run at all on my computer. The computer has never been upgraded before apart from adding some Ram and is running Windows XP.

A few questions i have
1. I'm not expecting to be able to run games on max settings with the highest fps possible but would a graphics card be able to boost the performance when running games without upgrading anything else?
2. I know there are a bunch of things affecting whether or not the card will work so can anyone link some cards they would recommend that would definitely work on my computer or list some requirements the card must have to work?
3. Slightly off topic but how would i go about cleaning out the inside of my computer? i don't think its been cleaned in the past 3 years

Sorry if anythings unclear, i don't really know what i'm talking about. Basically what i'm hoping to accomplish is running fairly modern games at medium settings on about 30 fps with just a graphics card upgrade.

Thanks in advance, if anythings unclear just let me know

Dell Dimension E521

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
LIsten, because of the nature in which transistors depriciate at a non linear rate, your system is more or less valueless for gaming.

What you ened to consider is that you can obtain aged part from 1-2 years ago at a tremendous discount and yuo will have a system much faster.

You can get good mid range parts from 2011 and build a low budget rig.

The answer is a graphics card upgrade is not recomended, head over to the homebuild section adn ask for a low budget gaming PC; for what you are looking for it wotn cost you hardly anything at all, and you will get better than you expected.

MightyMoose

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Okay, thanks for the advice i'll definitely get a price check at least :)

alexander0884

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
NP its just that that system is back from 2007, normalyl when you buy prebuilt systems, depending on their value you should not expect a budget one to last longer than 5 years.

So haviong said that its perfect tiem for an upgrade, except that it will be much cheaper and beneficial for you if you get to built it yourself getting your own parts etc. We have some really good techs on the forum who will help you find the best deals also.