Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Monitor going to sleep on startup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 30, 2012 4:22:38 PM

I purchased a tower yesterday from someone and he had it hooked up to a 42" tv and it was working perfectly fine. Now my monitor wont detect a vga signal and my tv which is 32" wont detect the HDMI signal. I've moved around the vga cable and hdmi to the onboard and my other video card installed and still nothing. I've completely disassembled the computer and put it back together, i also held down the power button for 30 secs or so with the power cord attached and without it. I also tried doing that for my monitor as well still nothing. The monitor is blank but i know the monitor is good ecause ive tried it on another computer and I have tried other monitors on this computer also.. the monitors stay in sleep mode with the orange light on my power button (usually sleep mode for hp monitors) and when i hit the menu button or select button or even the power button on the monitor it says MONITOR GOING TO SLEEP .. i have no way to run the computer in safe mode to try the f8 function to set it in vga or low resolution... MY OS is windows vista also and as i said before the computer was just working a few hours ago and it still starts up fine and everything runs perfect.

More about : monitor sleep startup

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 4:30:22 PM

1. Make sure you are not overloading your mains socket.
2. Connect just your simplest vga monitor directly to your graphics card or if the tower has one of the newer CPUs you can use the motherboard connector.

Restart the PC.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 30, 2012 4:30:58 PM

Chrone689 said:
I purchased a tower yesterday from someone and he had it hooked up to a 42" tv and it was working perfectly fine. Now my monitor wont detect a vga signal and my tv which is 32" wont detect the HDMI signal. I've moved around the vga cable and hdmi to the onboard and my other video card installed and still nothing. I've completely disassembled the computer and put it back together, i also held down the power button for 30 secs or so with the power cord attached and without it. I also tried doing that for my monitor as well still nothing. The monitor is blank but i know the monitor is good ecause ive tried it on another computer and I have tried other monitors on this computer also.. the monitors stay in sleep mode with the orange light on my power button (usually sleep mode for hp monitors) and when i hit the menu button or select button or even the power button on the monitor it says MONITOR GOING TO SLEEP .. i have no way to run the computer in safe mode to try the f8 function to set it in vga or low resolution... MY OS is windows vista also and as i said before the computer was just working a few hours ago and it still starts up fine and everything runs perfect.


Did you make sure you set the monitor input source to which ever cable you are using, like HDMI ? Most monitors don't auto-detect input source (because more than 1 could be used at once), so you have to manually set this using the monitor's controls.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 275 U Graphics card
a c 76 C Monitor
July 30, 2012 4:31:30 PM

Duh question:
Monitors and TV's have an input source selection switch. Are you certain that the display is set to select the proper source?
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 5:27:03 PM

I have tried a few things such as plugging in just the vga cable connected to my monitor then directly to my video card then and nothing.. next i tried it to my on board slot and no luck then i unplugged my videcard and tried to run it without it and nothing happened..i then did all of that over using my hdmi cables through my tv and my tv only has 16:9 res or 4:3 or something and it doesnt change anything... i even tried hooking up the vga cable through my tv... i have no way to switch the monitor settings because as soon as i touch any button it goes into sleep mode i dont even see the boot screen where i have options to hit DEL to enter setup. And yes i made sure it was on HDMI one when using hdmi and i even tried switching it to the second hdmi slot and same with vga i made sure my TV was on the correct input setting.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 7:00:38 PM

okay so i tried the video card in another computer and its causing that monitor to go to sleep and my computer seems to start up now but it keeps saying reboot with the proper drive selected i cant get it to boot up windows i even reset it to factory settings through the setup, i tried booting it from the dvd drive and hardrive
m
0
l
a c 205 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 30, 2012 7:49:07 PM

you friend may have wipe the hard drive. i would open the case and check that the ide/power/sata cables are connected to the drives and mb. could be one of the walked out. go into the bios see if the mb is reading any of the drives. if it sees the cd-rom and hard drive. make sure the hard drive the first boot device. if it wont boot check with your hand that the hard drive is spinging. if it is try booting from a cd-rom tools disk http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
see if the drive passes it vendor tests and see if there any data on the drive. if there no data...then you need to install an os.
then all the drivers for the mb/sound/network.
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 11:31:36 AM

smorizio said:
you friend may have wipe the hard drive. i would open the case and check that the ide/power/sata cables are connected to the drives and mb. could be one of the walked out. go into the bios see if the mb is reading any of the drives. if it sees the cd-rom and hard drive. make sure the hard drive the first boot device. if it wont boot check with your hand that the hard drive is spinging. if it is try booting from a cd-rom tools disk http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
see if the drive passes it vendor tests and see if there any data on the drive. if there no data...then you need to install an os.
then all the drivers for the mb/sound/network.


Okay so i just installed a new windows 7 ultimate copy and i can run it from my onboard raedon 6530 video card from vga the my monitor...but as soon as i put in my raedon 6570 video card on my pci slot it wont boot up windows and i know the card is good because i tried it on a 60" tv and the hdmi on the video card worked fine ..... my problem now is that when my video card is installed and my vga cable is plugged into the back of the video card and then to my monitor, i get no signal on my monitor... when i used the hdmi port through the 60" tv i was able to try and switch my resolution settings, oh and at this point i had tried it with the vga cable from my video card to my monitor and the hdmi cable to my tv at the same time and it booted up...having both cables connected is the only way the monitor seems to be recognized by the vga port on the video card. Now with that being said when i try to switch my display settings from my tv which is display#1 to display#2 which is my hp monitor now it recognizes the monitor because its showing the name hpw1907, but when i try to switch it over to the monitor only the only options i have are extended display, show only display 1, show only display 2, and there's an option to put them together in one .. ive tried all these options and it splits up my VGA to my TV what i mean by that is... the display with save under the hp monitor as the main display but the display is on my tv like im running the hp monitor on my tv.. i have no idea how i can get my vga port to simply detect my hp monitor without having to use the hdmi cord.. ive tried installing and uninstalling and disabling drivers and changing a bunch of boot menu settings and still no luck... i was also missing the SM controller driver idk if i need that but i attempted to fix it with an amd driver from the website... im currently at the stage where my video card is out of my computer and im just running my onboard card through vga but i would like to be able to use my vga port on my video card to play diablo 3 better... thanks for all the help its greatly appreciated!!
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 11:32:20 AM

I also did a full driver sweep
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 31, 2012 2:18:33 PM

Chrone689 said:
I also did a full driver sweep


Did you go in to the BIOS to make sure you explicitly disable Onboard or Integrated and set PCI-E graphics card as the Primary video boot device ?

On some boards, you NEED to do that manually to get the correct video card to work.
m
0
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
a c 76 C Monitor
July 31, 2012 2:30:40 PM

When you have two video adapters, the bios will have an option to select which one to use at boot time. The default may be the onboard adapter, not your video card adapter. Also, some motherboards will disable the integrated adapter when a discrete card is installed.
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 8:26:09 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Did you go in to the BIOS to make sure you explicitly disable Onboard or Integrated and set PCI-E graphics card as the Primary video boot device ?

On some boards, you NEED to do that manually to get the correct video card to work.


yes i have tried that and still nothing.. it will work on my video card through hdmi but only on the 60" tv not through my 32 "
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 31, 2012 8:29:02 PM

Chrone689 said:
yes i have tried that and still nothing.. it will work on my video card through hdmi but only on the 60" tv not through my 32 "


Then what is the maximal resolution your 32" TV will support ? I suspect it is 1280x720 (720p). Maybe your 32" is not scaling, or scaling improperly. Try going to your desktop resolutions (using a monitor that works at first), and set it manually to whatever resolution your TV supports by default (720p, likely), then unplug monitor and replugin the 32" to see if the 32" will pick up that signal.
m
0
l
!