Upgrading GPU(GT 220)

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
Okay first of I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot. I have never used any online forums before.

I have had the computer for 3 years now I think.
I thought I was getting a great computer when I bought this....turns out I knew nothing. :p

Here is my system specs
I am using PC wizard to get these specs
System Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Studio XPS 8100
Motherboard: Unspecified(Intel H57 chipset)
CPU: i5 650 @ 3.20(duo core)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 1GB
RAM: 8gb (4x2gb) Manufacturer Nanya
HD: WD 1TB
PSU: 300watt

last week my GT 220's Fan started going crazy and spinning fast really laud, especally when gaming(Skyrim, COD Games, Medieval total war2) I took it out cleaned it. did not help.
During normal, everyday stuff the heat level sits at around 50c sometimes hits low 70c. during gaming it is low 70c-high 80c

I am looking for advice for what GPU to get.

I have been looking at AMD HD 6570 1gb or maybe the Geforce 420 1gb.

Also I want to be able to run Skyrim at Mid-high settings and get 30+ FPS like with my GT220 (I have read that 220's are not supposed to be able to do that. but mine did for some reason.:D)

Solution
Now that you've told me your details, I understand that you need a single slot solution. Since single slot GDDR5 cards are out of your budget, the XFX one will have to do. It's around 15% performance, GDDR5 vs DDR3.
HD 6570 is much better card than GT 420. It's much better than GT 220 as well. It's good buy if you have only $50 to spend.

P. S. About GT 220 doing skyrim at medium - high settings: I suppose you're not running standard 1920x1080 resolution, are you? :p

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012

Yeah I just found some on Newegg.com

Next question is which brand: Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte, MSi...?

and then DDR3 vs DDR5 versions of the the card? is it worth the extra $20?

normally, the difference between ddr3 and dr5 is noticable, albeit an old example, but heres a chart that relatively shows the difference between a few cards of mixed ddr3 and ddr5. the one in particular to pay attention to is the 5570 ddr5 vs the 5570 ddr3

Crysis%201280.png

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012

Only problem is I would have to take out my wireless card and then hook a router to my Cat5(I don't know the right term for that) port on the motherboard. and I don't know to much about networking. Is that a relatively easy thing to do? (I have an extra router if it is.)

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012

The wireless router that my DSL line is plugged into: is not able to be connect directly to the computer. that's the problem.

I am not sure how to configure the routers to connect over the wireless.

If you want to connect it to cable, you need to connect one end of the cable to the router (the same that DSL line comes into) and another end to our PC.

Also, why do you think you'd have to remove wireless card for graphics card to work?

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012

Because of the fans it looks like the fans will hit the wireless card. My motherboard is really small. but if the fans/gpu case did not start untill 3in from the back wall. then the GPU would fit.

Do to my the way my house is right now I have know way to have a direct line from my Router(DSL) and my Desktop. with out having a cat5 five running across the floor. and that's not going to happen.*

so if I were to get the card you suggested my wireless would look something like this.

Wireless Router 1(DSL)> wireless Router 2: Cat5>Desktop. (does that make sense?)

Sorry if I am not understanding.what you ment by
If you want to connect it to cable, you need to connect one end of the cable to the router (the same that DSL line comes into) and another end to our PC.

btw how much smother will it make game play with the DDR5 vs the XFX with the DDR3?