Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need a new system

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2012 6:12:11 PM

I need a new gaming system.

I currently have a laptop and am frustrated with not being able to upgrade it. I decided to buy a nice desktop and have the ability to tweak it over time.

I saw the sticky and figured I would follow the specified format.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: 1200 ish (a little over would be fine)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming, graphic/web design, AutoCad, Movie Editing)

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe - Have a LCD HD Samsung Television I might use with HDMI could do a monitor though if it's a good deal.

Will need Win7/8 OEM

NewEgg preferred for parts

I am located in Saginaw MI

Have used Intel and Nvidia exclusively, open to ATI but not too familiar with them so don't know a whole lot about performance/value

I might overclock with the correct knowledge of it first. (I'm new to custom builds)

Would like the option to add Crossfire or SLI in the future, but not at this time.

If I go with a monitor, would 1920x1080 be the way to go? or would a smaller resolution be sufficient?

A Window would be nice on the case but not necessary. I don't need a whole lot of bling or anything of sort.

I am upgrading because my laptop is horrible and at the time I wasn't informed enough to realize I was getting a budget GPU/CPU.

I do have a lot of spare parts from towers. My work just throws them out and there are some pretty decent optical drives and standard psu's. Mostly Dell towers, mid and full towers. I'm not sure if I can use any of this to save some cash, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if anybody could suggest a build for me so that I can start ordering stuff, but if that would be possible, it would be of great help!

I know I look like a total newbie here... but it's true! Thanks in advance!

More about : system

September 21, 2012 12:53:52 PM

You want an i5 3450 and a gtx 670 . I'll let you pick out the rest,it's good education.
September 27, 2012 11:57:56 PM

Is the 670 the best bang for the buck atm?
Also, i assume then that an i7 would be overkill?
Thanks a ton btw
Related resources

Best solution

September 28, 2012 3:35:53 AM

Yeah,the 670 is great value,performance is real close to a 680,for cheaper. The only thing better would be a HD 7970 ghz edition on sale.
Yes,just for gaming,you'll have alot of unused cores with an i7. However,if you're SERIOUS about graphic work,investing in an i7 makes sense.
You can save cash on the hard disk,disk drive and ram if it's ddr3.
You also want a z77 board,or it's variants H77 and B75,depending on your needs.
October 5, 2012 12:03:16 AM

Best answer selected by CookiesRawr.
October 8, 2012 6:03:31 PM

Yeah I'm a designer for a living so having the ability to do work on it is a bonus. However i do have another rig for that. thx a ton for the help.
As far as a case, any suggestions?
!