Upgrading PC could use a few opinions from some pro's Thanks

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Havent been on this site in a while but alot of you guys helped me out when i first put together this computer about 10-11 months ago. Ive made a few upgrades since then, but im looking to jump to a new platform and could use some advice.

So this is my rig right now:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Intel Core i5 2500K 4.3Ghz
H60 CPU Cooler
16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
2x EVGA GTX 670 SC 4GB 1250hz
64GB Crucial SSD + 3TB Seagate Barricuda
27" Asus VG278H 3D 120hz 1920x1080p Monitor
CM Storm Stryker Case

I originally had 3 Acer 23" monitors in 3D surround but sold them about 4-5 months ago and grabbed myself a 27" Asus 3D monitor. I wanted something bigger and with lightboost and the Asus monitor is a big upgrade in 3D from the 23" Acer ones i had. Now that ive had my new monitor for a bit and love it i want to get back into a 3 monitor setup by grabbing two more.

My 2 670's did pretty good in 3D surround with newer games but i always felt if i had one more i would be golden. So i want to grab a 3rd for Tri-Sli. The issue with this is my motherboard does not support more than 2 cards. So i would need to grab a new mobo and figured while i was at it upgrade to an i7 which was originally my plan all along when i built the rig.

Now i was looking around at the 2011 socket x79 platform for PCI lane strength and extra power. Looks like my 2 options are the i7 3820 for $300 or the i7 3930k for $500. The 3930k is $200 more than the 3820 and im not sure which one i should get. $200 more for the i7 3930k isnt that big of a deal for me since im hoping this will be my last major upgrade for a few years to come. The problem is that i seem to be getting recommended both. People are saying buy a i7 3820 and save the money for when ivy comes out and upgrade to that. Other people are saying grab the 3930k stick with that till haswell or whatever comes out or whenever i feel like upgrading. So im kinda on the fence on what i should do. Seems like the 3820 is plenty power and will save me some cash, but cant overclock as well or support PCI 3.0. But at the same time the 3930k supports pci 3.0, can clock higher and will probably last me longer in the long run but seem like it might be overkill for what i need. But then again i am setting up a tri-sli, 3d vision surround setup so i think im already crossing the line that most people consider over kill haha. Either way future proofing sounds nice since that kind of what im aiming for, even know that doesnt really actually exist in the computer world, lol.

I plan on grabbing both my motherboard and CPU at microcenter since they have cheaper prices for CPU's and give you $50 off when you buy them together. I havent been to there store yet to take a look around but on there website they really dont have a great selection of motherboards to choose from on the x79 platform compared to say newegg. I was looking at this motherboard on newegg and it seem to have everything i want (prefer asus) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131808 but microcenter does not carry it. They do carry this one: http://www.microcenter.com/product/381461/X79_Rampage_IV_Extreme_LGA_2011_X79_Intel_Extended_ATX_Intel_Motherboard which after the $50 off would only be $10 more and seems to have better SLI spacing and a few more options. The stryker can old a ATX-XL so im not considered about it not fitting. I know both those motherboards are made for overclocking so idk if buying a i7 3820 makes sense on that end either. If theres another board out there im missing that you would recommend over those let me know.

I feel like i have a semi grasp on computers but im learning along the way in the past 2 years. So if anyone with more experience than me can weigh in there opinion it would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

malbluff

Honorable
I don't honest see that you gain a lot, by going hex-core, unless you're into photo/video work, and the 3820 is a bit of a non-entity. To be even more honest, you may be best advised to wait a few months, until there's more info on the upcoming Haswell processors, as they may be a better way to go, in the medium term, and they will be yet another LGA socket.
If you are looking at RoG boards, it may be worth considering the Z77 ones. You can get you PCle spacing, and i7-3770K will give you full use of PCle, although you could use your existing CPU, temporarily. That might allow you to "hedge your bets", just in case Haswell turned out to be SO brilliant that you wanted to change course, without it costing you QUITE as much. As you say, your other option is really to go overkill, with i7-3930K. At least it's a good overclocker, and that set-up SHOULD last you a reasonable distance into the future (fingers crossed)