Formatting from WinXP to Win 7, with partition problems

jack2421992

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Would anything happen to my other partition when i format win XP to win 7 in C: drive/partition?
Ineed to know ASAP....

Okay it goes like this, I have Win XP SP3 installed with two partitions, C: and E: (<----supposed to be D: ). I intend to install Win 7 Ultimate on my computer from XP SP3 and install it in C: where the current OS is at. My question is, will my E: partition prevail still? Will the reformatting touch E:?
The reason is because there is where i want to put my backups and later migrate it.

Yes, the other (non-system) partitions will still be there as long as you don't delete them.

When you install Windows, if you choose "Custom" install then you'll have the opportunity to choose which partition to install Windows in and, if you wish, to delete and recreate the partition so as to start out with a clean slate.

If you don't reformat the partition you're installing Windows 7 into then the old system's "Windows" folder will be renamed to "Windows.Old".

I recommend that you give your partitions ("drives") meaningful names so that you are less likely to get them confused. You do this by double-clicking on "My Computer", right-clicking on the drive, choosing "Properties", and then typing the name into the textbox at the top of the "General" tab.

jack2421992

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I just want to install Win 7 only but keeping E: as 2nd partition and making C: as...well you know the default directory for windows.
Also will the 2nd partition's files be recognized by Win7?

I don't give my partitions names. I leave it at default. For example, Local Disk( E: ) , like in WinXP.

jack2421992

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

I gave a reply back, continue helping please. from the previous post. Ill be watching this post until 12am. so please help all u can.

As I mentioned, you can do what you're trying to do.

Windows 7, once it's installed, WILL be able to access the other partition. The only issue you might have is if there are any folders on that partition that have security which restricts access to a particular user account (this is the norm for "My Documents" folders). If that's the case, then once your Windows 7 is up and running you'll have to sign on to an administrative account and then go into the folders, take ownership of them, and change their permissions.

I'd highly recommend changing the names of your volumes because there's no guarantee you'll see the same drive letters when you boot from the Windows 7 install CD. If you change your volume labels to something like "SysDisk" and "DataDisk" on your XP system before you start the Win7 install then you'll know for sure which disk is which. It's very easy to do, instructions are in my previous post.

jack2421992

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Sorry for the long wait, I already formatted the computer to Win 7 from XP. And it kept everything from my computer. Yes, everything. Although you need to re-register programs and files.