Sign in with
Your question

Cant Find Available Wireless Network

Last response: in Networking
September 17, 2011 2:13:32 AM

hey guys, ive done a lot of research on this topic and have not yet found any solutions.

my computer has never had problems connecting to wireless networks. i was even using it last night and everything was fine. but now it says it cant find any available wireless networks. i know its the computer because i have 2 other computers that are connected to the same network wirelessly and they work just fine. i have made no changes to my comp/network/system whatsoever for a long time now, this is just out of the blue.

INFO
Dell Inspiron 530 desktop (Windows XP Home Edition)
Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card
1394 Net Adapter
Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection

let me know if you need anymore info

WHAT IVE TRIED
-uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers
-system restore as far back as a month ago
-enabling and disabling
-Last Known Good Configuration
-trying a different username
-disconnecting and reconnecting the wireless receiver (the blue light is on, so i know that is working)

i think thats about it.

also, tried going to command and typing "sc query wzcsvc" (from the troubleshooting on Microsofts website) it says
TYPE : 20
STATE : 1 STOPPED <NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN>
WIN32_EXIT_CODE :0 <0X0>
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE :0 <0X0>
CHECKPOINT :0X0
WAIT_HINT :0X0

im not sure what any of that means, but i figured its a clue since it says its supposed to say
STATE :4 RUNNING

does anyone have any ideas? its important that i get this computer back online by tomorrow. any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

More about : find wireless network

a b F Wireless
September 17, 2011 6:38:07 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

So the WZC Service is stopped. Have you checked it to make sure other services it depends on are running and tried to start it? Is it set to Automatic?

September 19, 2011 9:58:49 PM

thanks for the reply. i checked all that stuff and it all seemed to be working. i figured it out though, in the "change advanced settings" window i checked "use windows to configure my wireless networks" and it seems to be working now. thanks again, all this running around on my system actually taught me a few things haha
a b F Wireless
September 20, 2011 6:28:41 AM

That figures - Windows doesn't like any other utility taking control of anything it prefers to do by itself.

Glad you sorted it.

!