Semantec (Norton) antivirus and MS Word

Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a waste.
I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to hold a key
down while launching a program on something that you might not trust.
Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the lag time it
takes for the scan. What can I do?
6 answers Last reply
More about semantec norton antivirus word

    Open Norton and look for Options.

    I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.

    Open Word
    1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2.. Click the Security tab.
    3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
    4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you
    want to use.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
    JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
    > time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a
    > waste.
    > I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to hold a key
    > down while launching a program on something that you might not trust.
    > Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the lag time it
    > takes for the scan. What can I do?

    MS Word documents and Excel Spreadsheets can contain Macros, and these
    macros can contain malicious code. I would recommend that you continue to
    let Norton continue to scan these files. Life is not so short that you
    cannot wait 2 seconds while the files are scanned.

    Bobby

    I can't find options in Norton that say anything (that I understand) that
    indicates that it will stop checking just because you opened the word
    application. As to the 2nd option, regardless of the settings in Word, the
    opening of the document takes the same amount of time due to Norton Scan
    Time.

    Thanks

    > Open Norton and look for Options.
    >
    > I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.
    >
    > Open Word
    > 1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    > 2.. Click the Security tab.
    > 3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
    > 4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you
    > want to use.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
    > JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
    > > time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a
    > > waste. I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to
    > > hold a key down while launching a program on something that you might
    not
    > > trust. Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the lag
    > > time it takes for the scan. What can I do?

    Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999091612160606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002080511355806&nsf=nav.nsf&view=8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

    Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab56492973adccd8825694500552355/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    If one of these doesn't do it (there are 9 more), go here and paste:
    Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
    in the Search box
    http://www.symantec.com/search/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:vwOMe.9912$rR4.2721@trnddc08,
    JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I can't find options in Norton that say anything (that I understand) that
    > indicates that it will stop checking just because you opened the word
    > application. As to the 2nd option, regardless of the settings in Word,
    > the opening of the document takes the same amount of time due to Norton
    > Scan Time.
    >
    > Thanks

    >> Open Norton and look for Options.
    >>
    >> I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.
    >>
    >> Open Word
    >> 1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    >> 2.. Click the Security tab.
    >> 3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
    >> 4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you
    >> want to use.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
    >> JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
    >>> time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a
    >>> waste. I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to
    >>> hold a key down while launching a program on something that you might
    >>> not trust. Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the
    >>> lag time it takes for the scan. What can I do?

    Ive decided to keep it on.

    > Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
    Office

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999091612160606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002080511355806&nsf=nav.nsf&view=8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

    > Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
    Office

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab56492973adccd8825694500552355/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    > Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
    Office

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    > Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
    Office

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    > If one of these doesn't do it (there are 9 more), go here and paste:
    > Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
    Office
    > in the Search box
    > http://www.symantec.com/search/
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:vwOMe.9912$rR4.2721@trnddc08,
    > JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I can't find options in Norton that say anything (that I understand)
    that
    > > indicates that it will stop checking just because you opened the word
    > > application. As to the 2nd option, regardless of the settings in Word,
    > > the opening of the document takes the same amount of time due to Norton
    > > Scan Time.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Open Norton and look for Options.
    > >>
    > >> I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.
    > >>
    > >> Open Word
    > >> 1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    > >> 2.. Click the Security tab.
    > >> 3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
    > >> 4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level
    you
    > >> want to use.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
    > >> JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    The articles are very informative, therefore I decided to leave them on.

Configuration Microsoft Word Windows XP