Sign in with
Your question

Problem upgrading my HP slimline

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2013 6:41:49 AM

I'm trying to upgrade the original power supply in my HP slimline (original only 160 watts) to a flex ATX 320 PSU. The new power supply fits in the case nicely, and includes an 20 pin ATX to mini 24 ATX adapter to fit the HP motherboard. Unfortunately, after installing the new power supply, the computer begins to boot and then just shuts off. It has done this repeatedly, and I have verified the connections several times. Out of frustration, I reattached the original 160 watt power supply and presto, the computer immediately booted and performed normally. I believe that the new power supply is working, but for some reason the 20 pin to mini 24 ATX adapter is causing the problem. Any ideas on how to fix this. I believe the larger power supply is working (bought new in an unopened box).
a c 128 ) Power supply
a b α HP
February 2, 2013 9:27:28 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
"New" does not neccessarily mean "good", especially in the realm of PSU's. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer to at least begin an RMA dialogue with them. Did you check the switch at the back (if it has one) to ensure proper input voltage? Is it plugged into a known good recepticle, these are the types of things they'll want to know...
Hope it helps
m
l
February 2, 2013 3:19:56 PM

C12Friedman said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
"New" does not neccessarily mean "good", especially in the realm of PSU's. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer to at least begin an RMA dialogue with them. Did you check the switch at the back (if it has one) to ensure proper input voltage? Is it plugged into a known good recepticle, these are the types of things they'll want to know...
Hope it helps

Yeah, the PSU doesn't have a voltage select switch, and I tried several different power cords. Also, the computer works perfectly with the same cord, outlet, etc with the old power supply unit. I just can't add many components with only a 160 watt power supply.
m
l
!