Sign in with
Your question

Emachines Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2012 12:44:00 AM

Hello, I'd like to install a new CPU on my Emachine, model number ET1161-07. The stats may be found at this link:
Emachine

Aside from the graphics card, which is a 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 4800 series, all the original components remain.

The two cpus I'm currently considering are an Athlon II x4 640, or a Phenom IIx4 955. They are both AM3 socket and so to the best of my knowledge they are compatible with the motherboard (GeForce 6150SE).

Is the current psu (250 watts) enough to handle these processors?
Is there another upgrade that may offer more of a performance improvement than this?

I'd like to make an upgrade that will allow me to run Guild Wars 2 on reasonable settings, and your assistance is appreciated.

Take care and be well,

Jeremy

More about : emachines upgrade

September 18, 2012 1:44:55 AM

I didn't see any info on the motherboard, but the CPU has a TDP of 65w. I don't know if anyone made motherboards with sockets limited to 65w, but I would almost bet that emachines didn't use a motherboard that was capable of handling any more than was needed.

You may have a 95w socket but then you may have a lower rated socket.

I suspect the power supply was just enough too. (I would upgrade this too)

If you can nail down the max wattage the socket on your motherboard can handle, then you could upgrade to a better CPU that fits within the socket limits.

The specs say you have a PCIe slot, so you may want to consider upgrading the video card (something that physically fits) and get a PSU (that also fits in the case) that can power it.

Your CPU will still be the weak link, but the power supply and the PSU can be migrated into a better computer system when you upgrade. (the rest of the system)

September 18, 2012 2:00:50 AM

Not worth the trouble trying to figure out what can be used in a prebuilt pc like an emachine, or chance at it working for a bit.
start from scratch a 955 with a am3+ $60 motherboard and new psu and watever else u want to upgrade ram, os, hdd all transferable if u just do cpu mobo and psu itd prob b around $210
Related resources
September 18, 2012 5:30:28 PM

Quote:
Not worth the trouble trying to figure out what can be used in a prebuilt pc like an emachine, or chance at it working for a bit.
start from scratch a 955 with a am3+ $60 motherboard and new psu and watever else u want to upgrade ram, os, hdd all transferable if u just do cpu mobo and psu itd prob b around $210

If you have an opportunity, could you provide a list of specific components?

~Jeremy
September 18, 2012 7:34:47 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
September 18, 2012 7:49:18 PM

Lazyboy's right on the money at $210 (should you choose a $60 mobo):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($105.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $255.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-18 15:40 EDT-0400)

If I were you and upgrading that, those are the parts I'd pick. Obviously you can spend less on the motherboard: if you wanted a ~$60 mobo, that'd involve buying used, refurbished, or older chipset units. Spending at least $75 on it can get you a current generation board, like an MSI 970A-G46.
September 18, 2012 9:30:50 PM

I currently have DDR2 memory in the emachine, so I may add something along the lines of this: link

Thank you for the suggestions and overall friendly demeanor.
September 18, 2012 10:26:02 PM

Another thing I should mention: you'll may have to get a new copy of Windows to install when you upgrade your motherboard. OEM versions of Windows are tied to the motherboard they're installed on, so unless you can hassle Microsoft or emachines, you'll need that, as well. Feel free to ignore this if you've purchased your own copy, though.
!