Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power Supply Question, Please Help

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2013 7:34:54 AM

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with my laptops power supply. I'm finding myself having to bend the cable and hold it in place to get a charge, so it's a broken wire.

I had a similar issue with my old laptop, and was able to repair it myself. Now my question might seem a little stupid, but I do need to know before I attempt repairing this one.

What is the part highlighted by the red circle in this photo? The break in the cable seems to be halfway between the plug that goes in my computer, and whatever this is.

Note this isn't actually my power cord it's just a stock photo. Basic concept should be the exact same.

I just need to know whether or not I can cut that off. My old laptop's cord did not have it. If I can cut if off, then awesome, it just means I have a bit more wire I can work with while soldering. If not, well, I guess I'll have to make do with the ~half an inch I have.

More about : power supply question

a c 129 ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2013 8:22:34 AM

A more likely scenario here is the power jack itself is broken, not the wire going into it. I will suggest searching 'broken power jack' on you favorite search engine to see if the symptoms fit (and also to see what it takes to repair - it can be a DIY project). I will recommend against attemting a repair on the power brick wires unless doing a complete cord replacement (which I will also recommend against), best to replace the brick IMO.
BTW, the item circled is most likely a ferrite choke for filtering noise.
Hope it helps
Score
February 2, 2013 8:37:05 AM

It's not the power jack and it isn't my laptop. I tested both the brick and the laptop with my volt meter. I also used my brothers identical power cord and it charged no prob. I've also already managed to pinpoint the exact location of the broken wire, by bending it completely in half and taping it in place I'm able to get a charge. I will be cutting it apart to solder tomorrow morning. Like I said, I had this issue previously with my old laptop, it just didn't have that extra.. for lack of a better word, "thingy" on it.

If I can chop it off to free up an extra inch or so of wire then that's fantastic.

How badly could the interference effect my laptop without the ferrite bead? Should I maybe just use two extra lengths of copper wire to extend the negative and positive reach for my soldering? I've never noticed any issues with my old laptop. I still have it actually, I use it as my media center pc as it fits pretty easily into my entertainment stand where a DVD player would usually go. :p 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 129 ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2013 8:57:56 AM

You may be able to reuse the existing choke or you can get one at your local electronics store, I do think you'll want one though to prevent whine or feedback.
February 2, 2013 9:07:46 AM

Is that not a ferrite ring?
Score
February 2, 2013 9:09:41 AM

@C12, I don't feel like spending any extra money to fix this if I don't have to. I have lots of wires laying around - I suppose I could just cut it directly below the break but above the ferrite and solder two wires to the negative and positive. Then wrap them both in electrical tape and solder them to the adapter head. And finally cover the whole thing with shrink wrap.

Thanks for answering my question. I think I'll use that process to save the ferrite^
Score
February 2, 2013 9:10:42 AM

phil_livesey said:
Is that not a ferrite ring?

Well I know that now. Lol. I had no idea what the hell it was, my old laptop didn't have one.
Score
February 2, 2013 9:11:30 AM

Best answer selected by apanzee.
Score
!