Best upgrade for the $$

mhokett

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I'm considering upgrading my system, but I'm trying to decide if it would be better to spend the $$ on a better GPU or CPU as I know both could be the limiting factor if I upgrade the other. I'm mainly looking for an improvement in game play as I'm currently averaging 25-30 FPS on most games that I play on max settings at 1080p and i would like to be above that for truly stable gaming. I'm already looking at grabbing an additional 8GB of memory, but that will be sooner than this upgrade. Ideally i would like to spend no more than $200.

My current specs are
CPU - Athlon II x3 455 unlocked to Phenom II x4 B55
MB - ASRock M3A770DE
Memory - Kingston Hyper X Blu 4GB (2x2GB)
GPU - Powercolor Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5
Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Solution
Your budget only allows you to do one or the other. My recommendation is to grab the 7850 for $189 or the 7770 for $129. The 7850 will alows for more eyecandy @ 1080p and the 7770 will play games at 1080p but with some options dialed down.

Your current cpu will be a bottleneck but it shouldnt hinder you too much but it will be a factor none the less

Down the road when you have cash to burn I suggest you upgrade the MB and CPU

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Undoubtedly upgrade the GPU! Even the Radeon 7770 would be a bit of an upgrade, but you have budget for more. CPU does not affect the frame rate much, especially at low frame rates like 20 to 40 FPS.

redeemer

Distinguished
Your budget only allows you to do one or the other. My recommendation is to grab the 7850 for $189 or the 7770 for $129. The 7850 will alows for more eyecandy @ 1080p and the 7770 will play games at 1080p but with some options dialed down.

Your current cpu will be a bottleneck but it shouldnt hinder you too much but it will be a factor none the less

Down the road when you have cash to burn I suggest you upgrade the MB and CPU

Solution

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

No, your best bet is to upgrade cpu and mobo.

I would concur with the other posters and go for the 7850 for now.

It is not clear to me which would help you more.
To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.