Sign in with
Your question

CPU Gets Way too Hot

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2013 11:30:25 AM

My CPU temp has been getting ridiculously hot lately. Whenever I play games, Coretemp says it gets up to 95*C. I feel like this can't be right because my computer doesn't feel hot and I think something cataclysmic would have happened by now. What's going on and how do I fix it?

More about : cpu hot

a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 12:05:04 PM

lol

What CPU and cooler do you have? Also how much airflow does your case have?
m
l
February 2, 2013 12:15:43 PM

I have an intel i7 2600 k and a Thermaltake Silent 1156. My case has 5 120 mm fans.
m
l
Related resources
February 2, 2013 12:18:44 PM

Are you overclocking, and if so, with what voltage?

It could also be a thermal paste problem: have you tried removing the heatsink/fan, removing the current layer of thermal paste and re-applying it?
m
l
February 2, 2013 12:20:35 PM

I haven't overclocked it and I just reapplied thermal paste.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 7:24:29 PM

Buy this CPU cooler and then check your temps again.
m
l
February 2, 2013 7:39:24 PM

If the cooler is ok , check voltages already done? well apply new thermal paste , already done? , make sure the cpu and the cooler are tightly together , you will have to make sure for good about that , if the problem is still happening , the MOBO must be the problem sending the cpu the wrong voltage , now there is 2 possibilities you make a hard bios reset , or update , the other possibility is trying different parts and guess which one is the problem .
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2013 7:48:54 PM

variaman said:
My CPU temp has been getting ridiculously hot lately. Whenever I play games, Coretemp says it gets up to 95*C. I feel like this can't be right because my computer doesn't feel hot and I think something cataclysmic would have happened by now. What's going on and how do I fix it?

is this a new build?

and what motherboard are you using, for example ive got a p8z68-vlx and this shows up some wierd values in some temp programs and is a known fault (or was last time i checked)
m
l
February 3, 2013 2:52:05 PM

I'm using an MSI P67A-GD65
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:29:42 PM

So I bought a new Zalman fan and now my core temp has dropped significantly. I'm running Crysis at 45*C, so I guess all I needed was a new fan.
m
l
!