New Keyboard & Mouse - what would you get???

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
There's no forum section for Keyboard & Mouse.

I'm not up to speed on the choices of keyboards and a mouse right now so, I could use some suggestions. I'm still using a decade old white Logitech from the late 90's - because it works but I want something that's good for gaming too. It might be nice to have a new USB keyboard & mouse but, are they really better? What are the pros & cons of a USB keyboard?

Mouse: I have the Logitech M310 wireless right now and it's just fine except for gaming. It's too small for me perhaps - my hand and fingers go numb after about 30 to 45 minutes but, I constantly have to 'shake it off'. I'm sure many other gamers suffer the same thing - so, what's the cure? Does a larger mouse take care of that problem or no? Or maybe an XBox 360 controller for the PC is best? Money is an issue in the sense that I'm not willing any more than necessary.

What's the best keyboard & mouse to get for PC gaming for the best price?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

p1ng1337

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
IMO if you want a xbox controller get an xbox.. would save u a hell of a lot of money.

for me I tend to buy cheaper keyboards since they are comfortable for me and don't really care about them

mice on the other hand I tend to go all out on a logitech series. probably the performance or something in that nature but always logitech

apark301

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
FYI: Current sale on rosewill mechanical keyboards - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=nJUrigJ9EeKMr_70KdAAXgy7U1_0_aaJ_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16823201044

I would go with the Cherry Red as it tends to be the most popular with people first starting with mechanical keyboards. Reasons to swap: better consistency with keypresses, which is important with some games that are not forgiving with miss-clicks. Also has N-key roll-over for them FPS junkies who like to spam a bunch of keys at the same time and want all the commands to go through.

In terms of a mouse, go with the classic G500. Reason why its one of the most popular mice out there: simplistic and comfortable. Also on sale:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI/ref=sr_1_1?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347775121&sr=1-1&keywords=G500

So overall, a little above $110 to get you a full gaming setup.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
TheBigTroll, so you really like the Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire Pro keyboard for $100

Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire Pro SGK-4010-GKCR1-US USB 2.0 Wired Gaming Mechanical Cherry Red Switches Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129008&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Keyboards-_-Cooler+Master-_-23129008

What all keyboards have you tested out? This one is still your favorite? It's just that at $100 I was hoping to get both a keyboard & a mouse for that. I would have to wait for it to go on sale.

I also wonder if keyboards & mice will upgrade to USB 3.0 and if that will even make any noticeable difference if they do?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Well, I've already built a gaming computer and I was just considering the PC XBox 360 controller as a way of dealing with the hand/fingers going numb issue during gaming since those controllers are suppose to be ergonomic. I'm still unclear on if that's a wise way to go though as far as the controller being "better" or more accurate for gaming than a keyboard & mouse? I just don't really know. I have never tested any of this stuff out as I'm just an old guy - so I'm reliant upon those who have experience.

apark301

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
There really is no reason for keyboards & mice to upgrade to USB 3.0. Pretty sure the main benefit from using USB 3.0 is the data transfer speed, and its not like your mouse and keyboard are unloading megabytes of data into your computer. The main thing to be concerned about is the look and feel of the keyboard.

Provided you don't do any dark-room gaming, that Rosewill Keyboard is a great deal with the money. Supposedly, numerous ppl have commented that the Rosewill and the Filco get made in the same factory and use the same components, so really its the best bang for your buck. If you want to get a backlit, you will likely have to shell out another $30-40.

If you haven't had a lot of familiarity with gaming mouses yet, give the G500 a try. It really appeals to the gaming masses, and you can go from there after you test that out. Of course, if you are a MMO player, there are other mouses that are more practical but other than that, the G500 should suite most of your needs.

id only suggest the keyboard if it was 59.99 after MIR. not worth the price as of now.

the keyboards i have used are the quickfire rapid (using that), corsair k60, cm storm trigger (quickfire pro with brown switches and full lighting) and the blackwidow. most of them are on demo so i tried them out.

my favourite is the trigger but its uses brown switches (reds are the best for games) and that it hardly ever goes on sale. so i dont recommend it

mice and keyboards on usb3 are no different

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
^ okay gotchya - I'll keep an eye out for that Cooler Master Storm Quick Fire Pro to go on sale.

It would be sweet to have:

* performance
* head-set jack
* audio control
* back lite

What are some other options or sweet features that I'm missing out on that could make my online computer gaming a more enjoyable experience? I wouldn't really know what all I'm missing out on as I'm just an old guy.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I have a Corsair K-60 and a Logitech G500. The k-60's cherry reds switches, in my opinion, are prone to typing errors because of their light actuation. That being said, mechanical keyboards are worth every cent.

Mechanical keyboards are kind-of a recently explosive market. Thus, Logitech is just catching on... dont get too caught up in the semantics, just decide of you want quick/light actuation ("better" for gaming) or heavier/tactile feedback ("better" for typing).

In fast/ shooter gaming, "#KRO" in an important factor. This is the number of buttons that can be registered at the same time. "10KRO" or ten-key-rollover is a good minimum, unless you are the 6 fingered swordsman.

I would personally prefer Tactile switches, but I work construction, so getting fatigued pushing keyboard keys is *not gunna happen*.

mice; Logitech has been on top or in the peleton in this department for a while. There are exotic forms and configurations... I personally find my G500 more than sufficient, and heres why;
three thumb triggers-
middle one- voice communication trigger
lower front/back- good for web navigation, (forward/back) or in fps, one is fire mode select and the other is laser/flashlight toggle.
your usage may vary, but three is plenty for alternate triggers.
you can adjust the tracking speed on the mouse via the adjustable DPI switch
adjustable weight cartridge is not critical but it gives some room for customization.
good form, comfy, and good grip.

You can search forever for the best stuff, but these are my recommendations. If you really want to get hung up on what to buy, just go get a mechanical keyboard and laser mouse and then we can start talking about the what the best Hifi Bookshelf speakers and Amplifier are.

btw, what kind of games do you (intend to) play?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
this was posted by me in an article, im reposing it here, everything after the stars is more info for here

[citation][nom]josejones[/nom]I've been looking around for a new keyboard that would also be good for gaming but, $150 and I've seen others up to $250 - that's just completely insane. Why so damn expensive?New Keyboard & Mouse - what would you get??? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] oard-mouse[/citation]

keyboard, it depends on your preference, i recommend a das keyboard, i want professional because it has laser etched keys, you can get one with no lettering at all.

i recommend against anything gamer, but if you want hotkeys you need gamer, so in the hot key category, i recommend Vengeance K60. it uses res switches, non tactile and light press, for all the main keyboard letters and numbers, the arrows, and the num pad i believe, the f keys the home end area, and the hotkeys are all rubber dome. i would get that keyboard if they offered the home end area and the rest of what i said had mechanical keys in blue, but because i wont budge, i limited myself.

as for mouse, i use razor naga, but the logitech mmo 12 button pad mouse is also really good. if i didnt have the naga, i would have went logitech, but the feel of the naga... i cant use the logitech anymore. those 12 buttons, like the person above, are not used in games for me, but for web browsing.

previous tab, refresh, next tab
page up, find, page down
close tab, new tab, reopen closed tab
zoom in, zoom 100%, zoom out

once you have all those on your thumb its hard to go back.

cherry blue, tactile feel for when the key presses, and a noise

i find this satisfying to hear, so its why i required it.

cherry brown, tactile feel for when key presses, no extra noise

basically a blue without the noise

cherry black, 50-60 gram pressure to press, the stiffest keys for mechanical, they are great for people who tent to bottom keys out, and rest their hand on the board while gaming

cherry red, 40 gram, same as black but easier to press, making them less desirable.

over all, every one will last 50 million clicks, so yea, great stuff, they also dont degrade over time like dome keys do.

you want to get a keyboard with plate mounted keys, as they are less prone to break from use than non plate mounted,

das keyboards use plate mounting, so they will last a long LONG time. i beleive steelseriese also does plate mount, along with other good names in mechanical keyboards.

STAY AWAY from razor keyboards, they have serious problems, and a stupid as hell warranty. someone had a "s" key and a "k" key switched, jsut the key caps, but the warranty is void if you try to move them.

also assuming they are pcb mounted, it wont last much longer than the warranty, so either have some soldering skills, or get something from a better name.

here is from steam, as i am actively asking more questions about mechanical keyboards
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33072743#post33072743

the people in there right now are knowledgeable, and helpful, and probably answered questions you may have already.

TRENDING THREADS