Sign in with
Your question

New Photoshop System

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2012 11:37:03 PM

I am going to build a new Photoshop system to replace my aged Dell XPS 400. I do semi-professional photoediting for gallery and exhibition work. I do not do any gaming at all. I am looking to build a system that will carry me for a few years as the demands of Photoshop increase. I already have monitors, keyboard, mouse, tablet, etc. I use plugins that are very CPU/memory intensive and frequently create very large, layered images of well over 100MB.

I've built a few systems in the past - an HTPC, a NAS/Vortex Box for streaming music

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: $1500- $2,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, and daily computing - no video, no gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Full, new system build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Win 7 Pro 64 bit for now. I'll let the dust settle on Win 8 before ugrading

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel Cpu

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments: As I do no gaming, video, etc, I'd like to get the best video card that meets the fairly minimal Photoshop standards. I run a dual monitor system and would like a video card that siupports dual DVI

Why Are You Upgrading: Like I said, I am currently using a 2006 Dell XPS 400 - 'nuff said

Here is my first pass at a system. I'm looking for a fairly plain case - LEDS, windows, etc definitely not needed.

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case

ZOTAC ZT-40607-10L GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD
This will be the system drive

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-64G 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
This will be the dedicated Photoshop scratch disk. I've read a lot of the discussion about SDD vs HD for scratch and have decided that SDD is cheap enough that I don't mind the more limited lifespan.
I have a fairly new Caviar Black which I will move over from the Dell for main storage.

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

I'm not wedded to most any of these parts, though I'd like to stay with Intel for CPU. My goal is to assemble the most powerful system within my budget to carry me for a few years. Any and all suggestions will be most welcome. Any tips on additional parts that I should purchase (SATA cables, etc) would also be helpful. I'd like to keep this system and quiet as possible so any recommendations for fans would also be appreciated.

Bob

More about : photoshop system

September 19, 2012 12:04:45 AM

this should do it
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hSsh

quadro cards arent really needed but they can be used to accelerate workloads.

also, if you still want to use your caviar black, go ahead
m
l
!