Sign in with
Your question

CPU Overheating

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2013 2:34:51 PM

Hello guys,
I have a very big problem, and I hope you can help me.
Recently I bought a new MB and CPU and everything is great, except that the CPU is overheating when I try to start a game or when I work on Photoshop (and sometimes even when I only have Opera running, when the room temp is higher)
I'm using a stock CPU fan, tried increasing the fan to 3230 RPM using SpeedFan, that didn't help. My only workaround to the problem is to use a portable room fan on the PC case (yea, I'm laughing too). As I said the MB and CPU are new so I don't think it has something to do with the thermal paste.

Here are my specs:
MB: ASUS M5A97
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3400 MHz (stock settings)
GCard: ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB GDDR3
RAM: 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
HDD: ExcelStore Technology J81 SATA Disk Device
Net Card: Realtek RTL8169/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Edit: I forgot to add that the CPU temp right now (I only have Opera and SpeedFan running) is at 43C and I have the CPU Fan set at 2473 RPM. When I for example run Heroes of Newerth, the temp is rising to 56-57C and the PC starts beeping.

More about : cpu overheating

a c 102 à CPUs
February 2, 2013 2:54:12 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Yes it has to do with the thermal compound AND with the stock heatsink. At the very least look into some aftermarket heatsinks (look for items on sale after you verify the specs) then re-seat the new heatsink using Arctic Silver 5 or better.
February 2, 2013 3:30:21 PM

Thank you for the fast reply.
I wanted to buy a new Cooler Master V8, but someone told me that if I buy that, I will need to buy a new PSU. My current PSU is P4 ATX 500W. Is it true that I need a new PSU if I buy the V8? And are there any specific heatsinks that you can recommend for my CPU? (I have no idea how to determine a heatsink type for my CPU. I'm kinda stuck when it comes to heatsinks and PSUs)

This is the exact look of my heatsink and fan.
http://www.twcarpc.com/photo/wwm/2011/AMDVS/AMDVS03.jpg
Related resources
a c 102 à CPUs
February 2, 2013 3:39:25 PM

You do not need a new PSU just because you are changing heatsinks. Your present heatsink has a cooling fan and the new heatsink will have a similar fan with similar (minuscule) power draw.

Here are the details for the V8: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Under details you will see all the socket sizes that the V8 supports. Verify this.

What make and model of PSU do you have?
a c 102 à CPUs
February 2, 2013 4:14:23 PM

Yes you are right; the V8 will work with your setup.

Regarding the PSU, I do not know anything about that brand and cannot find info online regarding specs and performance.

Brands I like are Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX. You need 500 watts to 650 watts.
February 2, 2013 4:21:50 PM

Alright, thank you for your time and help :) 

I'll search for a PSU of those brands and choose the most suitable one both in performance and price.
a c 111 à CPUs
February 2, 2013 5:32:21 PM

Check your Vcore.

February 2, 2013 6:19:55 PM

CPU-Z shows Vcore going from 1400 min to 1470 max.
a c 111 à CPUs
February 2, 2013 9:00:25 PM

If you are not OC'ing, that is likely what is driving your temps. At those voltages, you could easily be running those Thuban cores at 3.9-4GHz!

If your volts are set on *Auto* you should enter the BIOS and reduce in 0.125v increments.

You may also utilize the AMD OverDrive utility to experiment with voltage settings from within Windows. After finding your 'sweet spot' you may permanently enter the info into your BIOS.

I'm not familiar with that specific mobo, but you may have also have a setting for load line calibration (LLC) which lets you adjust voltage at load.

February 2, 2013 10:41:28 PM

So as I understand it... the high temperatures may be coming from the CPU not being clocked? I have never clocked a CPU, but from what I've read it says that the temp is increasing when you OC... Will the temp decrease if I actually get the CPU to 3.9-4 Ghz? (I know that it can go as far as 4.2 GHz, because a friend of mine did it)
a c 111 à CPUs
February 3, 2013 2:33:42 PM

Nightsaberr said:
So as I understand it... the high temperatures may be coming from the CPU not being clocked? I have never clocked a CPU, but from what I've read it says that the temp is increasing when you OC... Will the temp decrease if I actually get the CPU to 3.9-4 Ghz? (I know that it can go as far as 4.2 GHz, because a friend of mine did it)

Oh, noes! That was not what I meant, BUT, once again ... your current voltages are at a level that typically supports a 4GHz clock on the x6 1100T.

You may easily be able to run stock 3.3GHz at 1.35v or less. Lowering the volts to such a level could drop your temps 10C or more without changes to your stock cooling.

My rule of thumb is the stock cooler can handle a 400MHz or so bump above stock.

NOTE: If you raise the stock clock to 3.7GHz, your **Turbo** will be 4.1GHz! Most folks above this level will disable Turbo and individual core voltage management functions in order to keep temps and voltages down.

REALLY IMPORTANT NOTE: We're all impatient cheaters in OC'ing, now. Instead of slowly raising the system clock (or CPU multiplier) and testing for stability and temps, we just crank it up and throw caution to the wind. Since you are running stock clocks, your first step is actually finding the optimal voltages to run those speeds. In your case, you likely would benefit greatly from dropping your Vcore and testing for stability and temps.

From that established baseline, you may slowly bump the clock. When you stub your toe (i.e., fail a stability test), bump the Vcore in +0.0125v increments until you find stability at full load.

Then, you bump the clock and repeat the process.

Ultimately, you will run straight into the AMD volt wall --- meaning that those +0.0125v bumps do not establish stability, and simply drive your temps higher without any gains in clock speed.

February 3, 2013 3:54:37 PM

I just went into BIOS, and tried to decrease the voltage (it shows 1.464V) and saw that it's set to "Auto". I tried to decrease it with +/- but I can't. I can only increase it (it increases by 0.00654 or something like that every time I press the +). Is there any other way to decrease it?
a c 111 à CPUs
February 4, 2013 9:59:52 AM

Please carefully read and understand the BIOS section of your manual.

Modern BIOSs allow you to save your current BIOS settings in a *profile*

Save your current settings, and if issues arise with your tweaking, you may always revert-back.

If you are uncomfortable working in the BIOS, you may use AMD OverDrive to tweak settings from within Windows.

Good luck!

February 4, 2013 12:58:31 PM

Wow... now THIS! is strange... As I said in my original post... the CPU is new, and I have NEVER in my life done any kind of OCing... I downloaded AMDOverDrive, and it says that Current Speed is at 3.7 GHz O_O
I've been watching the cores for a while now and they are going from 3 to 3.7 GHz, with the exception of the first core CPU 0, going from 800 MHz to 3.6 GHz. I will try to lower it to 3.3 GHz on all cores with 1.36 core voltage and I'll also leave the stability test on for at least an hour and I'll tell you the results.

EDIT: It looks like the large variation was coming from something called Turbo Core which was ON. I have no idea how that happened to be ON, but now all the cores are running at 3.2 GHz with 1.36 core voltage, AGAIN with the exception of CPU 0 which is going from 800 MHz to 3.2 GHz...
Is it OK for the CPU 0 to have such a large variation?
!