Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with new GTX 670 FTW

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2012 10:58:09 PM

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum so forgive my noobish question and appauling spelling/grammer ect.

Anyway, I have just purchased a one of the GTX 670 FTW edition video cards to replace my GTX 560ti and I basicly just need some advice as to wether my current processor would have any problems running it which is a -

Intel i7 950 3.06 ghz (Stock speed) I also have the hyper 212 evo after market cooler on it.

Is this going to run the GTX 670 FTW at stock speeds or am I going to have to start this over clocking business?

I say this as I have never overclocked a processor and I want to keep away from it as I simply do not know how to do it and there are so many different giudes to it that it confuses the heck outa me.

so basicly to cut a long story short will my Intel i7 950 3.06 ghz (Stock speed) get the full potential and work ok with an
single GTX 670 FTW?

Sorry for going on, if you need me to add any other details let me know and any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers! :) 

More about : gtx 670 ftw

July 30, 2012 11:13:13 PM

Quote:
You should try overclocking your 950 first. There are several guides out there to do that. You can get 4ghz out of that chip. After that it should not be a bottle neck for any graphics card. What resolution are you gaming at? What are the specs of your rig?

Hi my full specs are -

Intel i7 950 3.06 ghz (Stock speed)
hyper 212 evo aftermarket cooler
8 GB DDR2 RAM ( I am going to replace this with corsiar soon as its some standard crap)
Running on a 22" Samsung 1920 x 1080p resoultion
750w PSU
(Current Graphics card is a MSI GTX 560ti Twin Forza ii)

Do you think it will run with this spec WITHOUT overclocking?
m
l
July 30, 2012 11:27:32 PM

I really don't think you will have a problem with your CPU at STOCK and it really depends on the game you are playing. If you can currently play BF3 64 player online, then your safe.

Have you got a logitech keyboard or software that can show how much CPU is being used during a game? For example, I had a celeron 2.4 dual core and CounterStrike Source runs perfectly until more people join the map, the CPU hits 100% and it lags. There is no need to upgrade unless your CPU is hitting over 90%.
m
l
Related resources
July 30, 2012 11:32:33 PM

pezonator said:
I really don't think you will have a problem with your CPU at STOCK and it really depends on the game you are playing. If you can currently play BF3 64 player online, then your safe.

Have you got a logitech keyboard or software that can show how much CPU is being used during a game? For example, I had a celeron 2.4 dual core and CounterStrike Source runs perfectly until more people join the map, the CPU hits 100% and it lags. There is no need to upgrade unless your CPU is hitting over 90%.

Hi, Thanks for the info, Yes I play BF3 on high settings at around 40-50 FPS when it gets crazy on a 64 player map (using my GTX 560ti of course)

I use a device called Core Temp to measure my CPU, do you reccomend anything better? as it seems to just tell you the temps rather than the loads

m
l

Best solution

July 30, 2012 11:52:43 PM

That's good. I also upgraded from a 560ti to the 670 FTW. CoreTemp is good but if you don't have a logitech keyboard, I came across this software that should help:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpu-usage-log/

That will log your CPU usage to a file. So hit up some Metro and let us know the results!
a b Î Nvidia
July 31, 2012 12:52:46 AM

It shouldn't be much of an issue, I also have a GTX 670 FTW and game fine with my againg i7 920 oc'ed to 3.8 ghz. I also used my old GTX 560 Ti as my dedicated PhysX card and does wonders in games that use PhysX, your PSU should be able to handle both cards.

OC your CPU at least to 3.6 ghz, it should be more than enough, my FPS is 60+ constant @ 1080p with all details on max including AA and such in BF3 on 64 player maps.

This is a great guide for OC your CPU.

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core...
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:11:01 PM

pezonator said:
That's good. I also upgraded from a 560ti to the 670 FTW. CoreTemp is good but if you don't have a logitech keyboard, I came across this software that should help:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpu-usage-log/

That will log your CPU usage to a file. So hit up some Metro and let us know the results!

Hi Again,

I have now installed my GTX 670 FTW, and I played BF3 for 3 hours on 64 player maps (including Metro) on Max setings (I am also using the FXAA Injector to enhance the grpahics)

I get a steady 60 FPS and it never went below 50 FPS even at the craziest parts of battle

My Core Temps are a maximum of 65 degrees C at the highest point, 38-42 degrees C when Idle, 24 degrees room temp, is this ok temp wise? (I use the Hyper 212 Evo cooler)

And I was also using the nice CPU usage app you kindly linked me too and it mostly ran between 40-60% load over 3 hours of play and ran at a maximum of 70-80% load for 5% of the 3 hours.

Do you think all of this seems ok? or would you recommend me getting into the overclocking?

Let me know if you need to to provide any more info, I really apprieciate any help :) 
m
l
August 8, 2012 8:42:07 AM

Best answer selected by spiitfiire88.
m
l
!