Logitech MX518 or Optical Mouse?

Last response: in Video Games
September 19, 2005 9:15:36 PM

My current Logitech (from 1997) is beginning to fail me and this is
getting my parties wiped perhaps (couldn't drink a healing potion in a
dungeon last week because my left mouse button failed).

What I am thinking is that I'll just get a new logitech mouse (and
perhaps keyboard), but I want to know if anyone here has any experience
with the new game mouses from Logitech?

I am also not sure if I like the fact that it has more than three
buttons. Is there a use for this with WoW? Like maybe jump, escape, 'F1'
or 'F'?

And how about running it on Windows 98SE? (which I still use atm) G5
does support it, but the weights seem like a useless gadget to me (like
I will ever notice the difference and get it right)

I fear the gamer mouse is really meant for FPS gamers and not for 3D
MMORPG games like us. Still, I would value your opinion on this.
Especially from WoW players that use such a mouse on 2000/XP or 98SE/Me.

TIA,
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
Anonymous

"Thomas J. Boschloo" wrote:

> My current Logitech (from 1997) is beginning to fail me and this is
> getting my parties wiped perhaps (couldn't drink a healing potion in a
> dungeon last week because my left mouse button failed).
>
> What I am thinking is that I'll just get a new logitech mouse (and
> perhaps keyboard), but I want to know if anyone here has any experience
> with the new game mouses from Logitech?
>
> I am also not sure if I like the fact that it has more than three
> buttons. Is there a use for this with WoW? Like maybe jump, escape, 'F1'
> or 'F'?
>
> And how about running it on Windows 98SE? (which I still use atm) G5
> does support it, but the weights seem like a useless gadget to me (like
> I will ever notice the difference and get it right)
>
> I fear the gamer mouse is really meant for FPS gamers and not for 3D
> MMORPG games like us. Still, I would value your opinion on this.
> Especially from WoW players that use such a mouse on 2000/XP or 98SE/Me.

I've used an MX510 as my gaming mouse for a while. Recently, I tried
the MX100 laser mouse since it was on sale. The ergonomic shape was
great, the fast wireless is good, the extra buttons well placed and
useful. Only problem was that it was just too heavy to be comfortable
for me. I couldn't easily do fine or small movements. And I use a low
friction mouse pad.

So now I'm back to the MX510. If you don't mind a little bit heavy, the
MX1000 really is good, if you do mind, I'd suggest the MX518

Lisa
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 4:31:10 AM

Thomas J. Boschloo wrote:

> I am also not sure if I like the fact that it has more than three
> buttons. Is there a use for this with WoW? Like maybe jump, escape, 'F1'
> or 'F'?

I use a Logitech mouse with more than three buttons and the two on the
side can be mapped like any other key. I have mine mapped to autorun
forwards and backwards.

steve.kaye
September 20, 2005 3:44:11 PM

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> My current Logitech (from 1997) is beginning to fail me and this is
> getting my parties wiped perhaps (couldn't drink a healing potion in a
> dungeon last week because my left mouse button failed).
>
> What I am thinking is that I'll just get a new logitech mouse (and
> perhaps keyboard), but I want to know if anyone here has any experience
> with the new game mouses from Logitech?
>
> I am also not sure if I like the fact that it has more than three
> buttons. Is there a use for this with WoW? Like maybe jump, escape, 'F1'
> or 'F'?

I can't speak to the MX518 specifically, but I got an MX500 which is the
same button design and optical with cord. I had a couple of glitches on
install but finally after downloading the updated software for it from the
Logitech site I was able to map the additional buttons to keys of my choice.
I chose Ctrl, Alt and Shift for three of the buttons. As a result I can
hover over keys 1-4 and have 16 action keys available without moving either
hand (you get more than that since the tilde and keys 5-6 are easily
reachable without moving your hand, but for the sake of argument...). I
mapped a button for changing between the two action bars that you can't put
on the main screen (this makes an additional 4 action keys available without
moving your hand, so that would be 20 total). I mapped a button for moving
backwards so I wouldn't have to move my hand for that. That still left me
the mouse wheel click to toggle autorun, the wheel function to zoom in and
out camera and left/right button at the same time to run forward. Oh, and
of course the right and left click buttons are still mapped to those
functions. ;)  So, yes, I'd say there are applications for the additional
buttons.

Once I downloaded the updated software I noted a marked increase in mouse
sensitivity.

I noted that the downloadable software for the MX518 gamers edition is for a
wireless mouse.

There was a download for gaming once I updated my MX500 software. It
allowed some additional changes to how the software reacted when entering a
game.

I'm not sure what the MX518 brings to the table that the MX500 doesn't. But
so far I'm quite pleased with my 500.

> And how about running it on Windows 98SE? (which I still use atm) G5
> does support it, but the weights seem like a useless gadget to me (like
> I will ever notice the difference and get it right)

I use XP so can't speak to this. I'd be sure and check the Logitech site
for download info regarding the mouse software. They list the supported
systems.

> I fear the gamer mouse is really meant for FPS gamers and not for 3D
> MMORPG games like us. Still, I would value your opinion on this.
> Especially from WoW players that use such a mouse on 2000/XP or 98SE/Me.
>
> TIA,
> Thomas

I wanted the extra buttons so I could do more without moving my hands from
the mouse or my "home" keys. So far that has worked out well for me. The
increased sensitivity is nice since it takes less motion to move the cursor
around. As with pretty much any mouse, the sensitivity can be adjusted.

Hope that Helps and Happy Gaming!
September 20, 2005 4:40:11 PM

Just a tip: use wired keyboard and mouse and not wireless.

I have been killed multiple times now as the batteries always run out at the
worst possible time.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:23:06 AM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> So now I'm back to the MX510. If you don't mind a little bit heavy, the
> MX1000 really is good, if you do mind, I'd suggest the MX518

It has become the G5 Logitech mouse which is _supposed_ to have windows
98 support. I paid 75 euro for it and at first I thought it was a used
one because the top metallic part of the mouse looks really 'used'. That
was until I saw a picture of it with the same 'used' look in the box. I
think that is really cool. It also smelled very new. And the cord is,
well, awesome! It looks like a piece of string instead of an actual wire.

I haven't connected it yet because I just upped my 333mhz 512mb to 2x
400mhz 512mb 2.5CL *Dual* DDR and I don't want to change to many things
in one go.

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=524288

in system.ini is important on Windows 98SE, but it seems to work well
with 1 Gig.

I can't wait to totally blow away WoW on this newly speced machine! I
expect to be able to play a lot better and more immersive with the two
upgrades.

hi,
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR
September 21, 2005 1:57:17 PM

> in system.ini is important on Windows 98SE

Ugggh. Do yourself a favour and move away from the Win9x platform.

I am not a huge XP fan either but even the W2K I use at home is light years
ahead of Win9x in stability, and importantly for large memory footprint
software like WoW: memory management.
!