Need Help Selecting a Graphics Card

vovchikthebest

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Hello,
I am a beginner who wants to build his own computer and am now searching for a graphics card. I am most likely planning to use an AMD FX-8150 CPU. I havent decided on the mother board yet as I believe that it is better to select the components going on the motherboard first and then select the motherboard to fit those components (if I am wrong please correct me) :p. I have heard that AMD CPUs work well with AMD GPUs. Is that true?
I am looking for a graphics card in the $100-$200 range. The main use for the computer will be playing and recording games such as minecraft. Is the 100-200 price range too low for that.
Thank you in advance for your help.

if you are going amd, its better in the slightly more low end for ALL around purposes as intel cannot cope with certain low end quad core gaming compared to amd. if you have no use for quad cores, then you can make a intel build. the reason why the FX chips are usually untalked about because the performance difference between the phenom 2 and the FX series are so small, that the price difference is extremely negligable. If you want an FX series chip, i would advise waiting for FX Piledriver, if not, an intel based solution will probably be better.

vovchikthebest

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

So if I was to save money on the processor by getting an FX 4100 would there be a better card for my purpose in the 150-250 range?

vovchikthebest

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Would a Intel i5-3570 be better than the fx-8150?

vovchikthebest

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Do you have any recommendations on graphics cards?
Also would it be worth getting i5-3570k for a few extra dollars if I ever decide to overclock?

specific price range in question? assuming you are keeping the 150-250 range the cards will be:

HD 6850<HD 6870 ~ Gtx 560< HD 6950 ~ Gtx 560ti < HD 7850 ~ Gtx 570

dark horse choice will be the reference gtx 480 which is better than the above at a slightly lower price at the cost overall efficiency outside of in game performance. If you can push your budget a bit higher than your original 250 cap, the HD 7870 is a fine choice for a newer architecture and good headroom to overclock if you ever want to experiment with it.

vovchikthebest

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Also would it be worth getting i5-3570k for a few extra dollars if I ever decide to overclock?

if you ever want that overclocking choice to your leisure, yes, but games will not fully utilize the clocks speed full potential for awhile. you will only see a larger performance gain through synthetic benchmarks and non gaming work based on time.