Sign in with
Your question

Not Enough Power?

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2012 2:06:37 AM

I've been using tom's hardware behind the scene for years and finally manned up and built my own custom rig. The only issue is that after all the trouble shooting I've gone through I can't seem to fix all the bugs on this beast. I have no issues with this thing staying cool doing work but when I start to swap in and out of DOTA 2 the screen flashes black a few times like it can't recieve a signal and flips through HDMI 1, HDMI 2 and VGA before the screen shuts off however the computer and fans keep running. Also, the computer doesn't make any weird noises and no odd sounds from the hard drive.

I've updated the bios and every driver that I can think of... is it the juice?

MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Intel Series 7 Motherboard

RAM: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R Vengeance Red Desktop Memory Kit - 16GB (4x 4GB), PC3-15000, DDR3-1866MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 1.5V, CL9, XMP Ready

CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K BX80623I72600K Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.40 GHz (3.80 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Retail

CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready

PSU: Thermaltake 650 W TR2-600NL2NC ATX12V

Thanks for the help! :bounce: 

More about : power

September 19, 2012 3:15:07 AM

Probably the monitor is failing. Try plugging a different monitor to your graphics card.
If the problem persists, then the graphics card is the cause of it.
I don't think it's a power issue.
m
l
October 1, 2012 4:35:38 PM

It doesn't appear that the monitor is failing so I seriously think its the PSU.

I've had a couple of warnings about low CPU voltage and the VCore is flucuating between 0.96 and 1.12 but occasionally goes below. I haven't seen it jump at all.

Do I need a more powerful PSU to handel this PC or maybe a better PSU?

I pulled the below article off Tom's hardware articles section...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specif...

Did I answer my own question?

"You can think of each rail as a separate power circuit, kind of like a power supply within the power supply. Normally each rail is rated for a specified maximum amount of current in amperes. Because the extreme amount of 12 V current required by newer CPU voltage regulators and high-end video cards can exceed the output of common 12 V rails, some power supply designs use multiple +12 V rails. This means that essentially they have two or more separate 12 V circuits internally, with some wires tapping off of one circuit and others tapping off of another. Unfortunately, this can lead to power problems, especially if you fail to balance the loads on both rails or to ensure you don’t exceed the load capacity on one or the other. In other words, it is far better to have a single 12 V rail that can supply 40 amps than two 12 V rails supplying 20 amps each because with the single rail you don’t have to worry which connectors derive power from which rail and then try to ensure that you don’t overload one or the other.

Whereas the +3.3 V, +5 V, and +12 V rails are technically independent inside the power supply, many cheaper designs have them sharing some circuitry, making them less independent than they should be. This manifests itself in voltage regulation problems in which a significant load on one rail causes a voltage drop on the others. Components such as processors and video cards can vary their power consumption greatly by their activity. Transitioning from sitting at the Windows desktop to loading a 3D game can cause both the processor and video card to more than double the draw on the +12 V rail. On some cheaper power supplies, this can cause the voltages on the other rails to fall out of spec (drop greater than 5%), making the system crash. Better-designed power supplies feature truly independent rails with tighter regulation in the 1% to 3% range.
"
m
l
October 1, 2012 11:51:48 PM

Now that I remember, Thermaltake TR2 are not good power supplies. So I've been told...
m
l
!