Need advice on what to upgrade (CPU or Graphics Card)

Hi all,

I was wondering what the biggest bottleneck in my system was, my CPU or my Graphics card. I already switched to an SSD and have 12 gigs of ram.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0 Ghz
Graphics Card: Radeon HD5770 512MB

I'm an avid gamer and would like to up the settings on some of the games I play (SC2, for example, I can only really run at medium in big 4v4 games)

My motherboard is socket AM3, and in my research it didn't seem like there was a significant upgrade at CPU that didn't require me to get a new motherboard. So really this is new CPU&Motherboard vs new Graphics Card.

What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for the help!
4 answers Last reply
More about need advice upgrade graphics card
  1. Hey,
    How much do you have to spend?
    I would suggest your Graphics Card is the thing you need to upgrade. What's your power supply so we know how much you have to play with.
  2. Both to be honest, but gpu first...

All the best Brett :)
  3. I have around 100-200 to spend. Willing to spend a bit more if that gets me over the "hump" to a good price/performance level.

Have a brand new 750 watt power supply, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks for the opinions so far!
  4. If you are going with a graphics card then make sure to consider all of the following:
    GB
    core clock
    stream processors.

My son plays Skyrim on his computer in "high" setting with no problem and has the following set up:

AMD Phenom II x6 @ 2.6 GHz
    Radeon 5750, 1GB, 700 MHz core clock, 720 stream processors.

For your price range you can get a good graphics card better than listed above.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CPUs Components