Sign in with
Your question

Ram voltage vs Motherboard voltage questions!

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2012 4:42:43 AM

Okay, so I am in the midst of building a new gaming PC, much like everyone else here. One stump I am coming across is whether or not supported voltages on my motherboard (sniper m3 1.5 V), will suffice for ram I am looking to purchase with it?

Now for example's sake, lets say the RipjawsZ F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD (4Gx4) is the ram that I am looking at. It runs on 1.65 V according to its specifications.

What sort of variances will I see in performances, and what would I be looking at doing to optimize it?

PS. If you look at the ram's QML it will say the Sniper 3, not the Sniper M3; whereas gigabyte's Sniper M3's QVL says that model of ram. I am aware of this, I am assuming that the ram "compatibilities" are the same for the two mobos.

Thanks!
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
a c 80 V Motherboard
September 19, 2012 7:00:11 AM

The amount of voltage a RAM kit runs at isn't an indication of performance, for that you should be looking at timings and frequency.

Don't buy RAM that's above 1.5v, above that and its damaging to Intel CPU's. Will work fine on AMD systems though.

Overclocking RAM is quite difficult and gets you only a tiny boost in performance, many don't bother.
m
l
!