Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about PhysX and nvidia

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 2:21:30 AM

if you were making a build for a game made with PhysX, would it make more sense to go with a nvidia card over a radeon, even if the radeon was slightly better at your price point?

Building for Arma 3, and want the gtx 570 because it supports PhysX.

More about : question physx nvidia

a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 31, 2012 2:29:51 AM

only if the majority games you play have physx. though essentially what happens if you went that route is that you sacrifice overall FPS in all games combined(in general) in order to enable special options in game. If that is something you are willing to do then go for it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 2:31:10 AM

Well, Physx is hardly used in many games. However, there are quite a few popular games that use it such as the Batman series, Metro 2033, Mirror's Edge, and even up-coming games such as Metro: Last Light and Borderlands 2.

To be honest, I wouldn't purchase a certain card over another because of one feature. If the other the other card offers better performance, less heat, and less power consumption, it's a better buy. You can always get a decent NVIDIA GPU and use hacked drivers to run Physx with your Radeon HD GPU.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 2:43:55 AM

AbdullahG said:
Well, Physx is hardly used in many games. However, there are quite a few popular games that use it such as the Batman series, Metro 2033, Mirror's Edge, and even up-coming games such as Metro: Last Light and Borderlands 2.

To be honest, I wouldn't purchase a certain card over another because of one feature. If the other the other card offers better performance, less heat, and less power consumption, it's a better buy. You can always get a decent NVIDIA GPU and use hacked drivers to run Physx with your Radeon HD GPU.

I believe, to a certain point the opposite of this.

I would easily trade 5-10% cost/performance just to know that I am able to use the feature, but that's me. Do the hacked drivers still require vastly out of date Nvidia drivers? Or have they been updated?
Score
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 31, 2012 2:51:16 AM

azathoth said:

I would easily trade 5-10% cost/performance just to know that I am able to use the feature, but that's me. Do the hacked drivers still require vastly out of date Nvidia drivers? Or have they been updated?

realistically(assuming the other choice is the 7870) the cost/performance can be greater than that(the 7870 can occasionally perform like a gtx 580 pre 12.7 drivers, its greater now most likely) and i would believe turning on the physx, since it adds a few elements, can lower the fps slightly more as well. If OP wants to overclock, the gap widens even more. I would expect at least a 15% performance difference between the cards, as the 7870 took such a major price cut(along with the 7950) compared to the 570 to stay competitive with the 660ti which supposedly performs better than the 580.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 2:55:06 AM

azathoth said:

I do not know. I put it up as a suggestion rather than a recommendation. If the OP wants an NVIDIA GPU, I'd advise waiting for the GTX 660 Ti (August Release), which should offer competitive performance with the HD 7800 series at the same price point.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 3:03:51 AM

The thing is, Physx is supported on only a few games, but some of those are big and popular titles. Waiting for the GTX 660 is probably the best option. Later on if the performance is under par, you can add a second card purely for physx, usually at the $100 mark.
Score

Best solution

a c 649 U Graphics card
a c 442 Î Nvidia
July 31, 2012 3:56:28 AM

xtjaga3 said:
if you were making a build for a game made with PhysX, would it make more sense to go with a nvidia card over a radeon, even if the radeon was slightly better at your price point?

Building for Arma 3, and want the gtx 570 because it supports PhysX.

To directly answer your question, for a build focusing on gaming with PhysX, your only choice is to go with an Nvidia card. Radeons cannot do PhysX.

To address the second part of your question and the previous comments, PhysX is a feature that is better to have than to not have, regardless of whether you use it or not. It is worth it to have the option to enable PhysX on an Nvidia card even if the AMD card was slightly cheaper or slightly faster, my opinion of course.

Who wouldn't want a card that could do this?

Quote from a Borderlands 2 preview:
"The PC version of Gearbox Software’s upcoming Borderlands 2 is set to support many PhysX enhancements. These include water that reacts accurately to a player’s movements, rippling and splashing around the environment as you walk through it.

Borderlands 2 also makes use of PhysX to render destruction. For example, fire a rocket launcher into the ground, and huge chunks of earth and gravel fly into the air. The resulting debris settles on the floor, where you can kick it around by walking through it."
http://physxinfo.com/news/7865/borderlands-2-will-be-en...
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
July 31, 2012 4:23:31 AM

Do you know how much physx is used in Arma 3? Some games with PhyX barely use it, and it hardly missed. Example: Metro 2033, I can't tell a difference with or without PhysX.
Score
July 31, 2012 4:24:42 AM

Best answer selected by xtjaga3.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
a c 172 Î Nvidia
July 31, 2012 11:22:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!