Sign in with
Your question

PSU failed paperclip test; does this mean for sure it died?

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2013 6:48:36 PM

So my PC stopped working this morning. The computer just shutdown suddenly on its own; at first I thought the power had gone out, but after checking inside my computer, I saw my motherboard power LED was off. I tried replugging my PSU but the mobo LED would not turn on nor would the computer start.

So I tested my PSU (Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze) with the paperclip test, and it failed. The fan doesn't start spinning at all. Then I retried the test after plugging in my case fans to give it some load. Still no luck.

Is it safe to assume that I have a faulty PSU? I've barely finished building this PC about 3 weeks ago and have been using it since then, but I didn't do anything different or out-of-the-ordinary with it this morning when it shut down. I have no idea why it suddenly shut down in the first place, either. Thanks for your time.
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 6:54:18 PM

Assuming you are sure that you shorted the correct leads and the power cord is good, then the PSU is definitely dead.
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 6:54:28 PM

i would say yes it failed and thats really depressing since seasonic is one of the best PSU manufacturers but no one is perfect.

RMA?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 2, 2013 6:56:26 PM

Yes, I have been planning on an RMA but wanted to ask the community one last time before just to confirm the PSU is dead.
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 7:10:27 PM

ok, but do not do anything that may void the warranty!

i myself would want to open it up and have a look see . .
m
l
!