Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions for affordable USB 2.0 Extender @480MB

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2013 6:49:01 PM

Hi All,

Does anyone have a good source for a reasonably priced USB 2.0 compliant (480mb speed) over Cat6 extender ? The best I have found starts around $150 and goes up from there. I need three so I was wondering if there are any out there around $50.00 or so each.

The USB 2.0 extenders that run at 1.1 speeds are inexpensive, around $12 and work fine for a keyboard and mouse but not for webcams. I have three at the moment but would like to upgrade. I am surprised by the price as this is not a new technology and the prices have stayed the same for about the past two years. I thought with the introduction of USB 3.0 that the prices for the USB 2.0 extenders would have come down.

Thanks,

Jeff
February 2, 2013 8:48:03 PM

As long as you don't need very special cams, replacing the ones you have with LAN models, would be the cheapest solution. You can get them for $50.
m
l
February 3, 2013 2:36:21 AM

Thanks for this but I am not sure if the LAN cameras would work for my application. The VM software that I am running requires a camera be designated for each station and the only way I can do this is through an USB connection.
m
l
Related resources
!