Sign in with
Your question

New homebuilt system will not boot past UEFI

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2012 6:03:57 AM

Hi everyone.

It's been years since I built any of my own systems, so I thought I'd jump back in and build myself a new rig. The last system I built was back in the days of the Athlon XP processors, so I'm quite a bit behind the times.

I've built a system with the following parts.

HDD: 3x older SATA segate 250gb drives (salvaged from old system)
HDD: 2x older SATA WD Velociraptor 160GB drives (salvaged from old system)
Graphics Card: 1x Nvidia GTX 550ti (salvaged from old system)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H B75 LGA1155 Rev 1.1(purchased on newegg)
PSU: CORSAIR 750W CMPSU-750TXV2 (purchased on newegg)
CPU: INTEL CORE I5 3450(purchased on newegg)
RAM: 2x 4gb sticks CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (purchased on newegg)
Case: DIABLOTEK CPA-8817D3 (purchased on newegg)

The system will not boot past the Gigabyte "Duel UEFI BIOS" splash image. And will accept no key inputs to access the motherboard functions(Del, F12, etc) Even getting to this image takes 60+ seconds.

I've attempted to remove each component one-by-one and have had no luck. I've removed all components and had no luck. I've attempted to just use 1 stick of RAM with no change. When attempting to boot with no RAM or CPU installed the system spins the fans for <3 seconds and then turns off.

I'm at a loss. This is the first UEFI system I've dealt with, and the lack of visible POST or any beep codes leaves me at a loss at how to continue.

Suggestions, ideas, help?

Thanks in advance.

September 19, 2012 10:15:38 AM

Did you run all these tests with the motherboard in the case, or out.

If it was in, remove the motherboard from the case, check that no standoffs are in the wrong place, that no loose screws, blobs of solder, or anything that could cause a short are present.

Check front as well as the back of the board.

If all looks OK, run your tests again with the MoBo out of the case. Be sure to lay the MoBo on some insulating material (NOT CARPET).

Power up the board with nothing installed but the CPU and cooler, to see if you get any beeps, then install components one at a time, rather than remove them.
m
l
September 19, 2012 10:48:02 AM

And yes there should be beeps hook up the internal speaker on the header near where you hook the power button and reset..Check your manual
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2012 3:12:10 PM

oneeye_72 said:
Did you run all these tests with the motherboard in the case, or out.

If it was in, remove the motherboard from the case, check that no standoffs are in the wrong place, that no loose screws, blobs of solder, or anything that could cause a short are present.

Check front as well as the back of the board.

If all looks OK, run your tests again with the MoBo out of the case. Be sure to lay the MoBo on some insulating material (NOT CARPET).

Power up the board with nothing installed but the CPU and cooler, to see if you get any beeps, then install components one at a time, rather than remove them.

Thanks, I'll give it a try today after work. Would an anti-static mat work as a safe insulator?

EDIT: The mobo was in the case.
m
l
September 19, 2012 3:15:55 PM

robustus64 said:
And yes there should be beeps hook up the internal speaker on the header near where you hook the power button and reset..Check your manual

I've found the pins for the speaker, the case did not come with one. I'll have to see if I can find one from another case. Thanks.
m
l
September 20, 2012 1:32:06 AM

No luck finding a speaker, I'll have to order one.

Pulled the motherboard, tested the mobo out of the case with only CPU and one stick of known-good RAM, using the integrated DVI. Still the same result.

No visible issues anywhere on the board or any locations where the board touches anything other than the standoffs.
m
l
September 20, 2012 8:11:47 AM

Until you get speaker (its usually a small piezo these days), it will be difficult to find the problem.

The 'beep' codes are invaluable as a diagnostic.
m
l
September 25, 2012 8:44:08 AM

That's a new one on me, I've never heard of a continuous 'beep'.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge in this field can help.

Sorry to be of no help on this one.
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:09:56 PM

Still no luck with the system, and I'm getting really frustrated with Gigabyte support.

The only way I can get in contact with them is by using their question/answer tool. Each time I respond they take 12-24 hours to get back to me with another 1 sentence response. Their last answer was the straw that broke the camel's back, as the tech took 18 hours to suggest something that I had clearly stated DID NOT WORK in the FIRST post in the support conversation.
m
l
September 28, 2012 10:49:31 PM

I have this exact same motherboard and I'm having this EXACT same problem. I got the motherboard less than a week ago too. I've tried almost everything, still trying more though. There has to be some kind of solution, I think.

It was working perfectly fine before I tried installing a SATA hard drive. That's when this problem started. Before, I was able to access the bios and change settings and whatnot, and it would run for hours perfectly fine, although I didn't have a SATA hard drive at the time.

If you fix/find the problem, let me know!
m
l
October 2, 2012 11:42:02 PM

Bump. Can anyone help?
m
l
October 8, 2012 10:14:15 PM

AustinZoph said:
I have this exact same motherboard and I'm having this EXACT same problem. I got the motherboard less than a week ago too. I've tried almost everything, still trying more though. There has to be some kind of solution, I think.

It was working perfectly fine before I tried installing a SATA hard drive. That's when this problem started. Before, I was able to access the bios and change settings and whatnot, and it would run for hours perfectly fine, although I didn't have a SATA hard drive at the time.

If you fix/find the problem, let me know!

What beep code are you getting?

After working with Gigabyte support they tried to pawn the issue off on my CPU and my power supply. Both components have been swapped and the system still exhibited the same issue.

The board is going back to newegg on Monday. I'll never buy another Gigabyte board again after the runaround their customer support has given me.
m
l
October 8, 2012 11:41:39 PM

Thanks for replying! My motherboard speaker isn't working for some reason, so I'm not sure. All I know is that I have the EXACT same symptoms as you, takes a long time to get to the gigabyte splash, then freezes. I'm going to a friend's to test the ram tonight. If that's not the issue, I'm sending back the motherboard to newegg as well!
m
l
October 10, 2012 1:00:25 AM

Just checking, you installed a motherboard/case speaker, correct?

This board threw me for a loop because it was the first board I've ever purchased that didn't have an integrated speaker.
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:44:00 AM

Yes, one came with my case. Perhaps the one I have is defective. But I tested parts and it led to the motherboard, so I am returning mine to newegg tomorrow! I hope we both get working boards!
m
l
October 12, 2012 9:23:01 PM

Good luck. I'll post an update once I get the replacement board from Newegg.
m
l
October 27, 2012 6:31:35 AM

Got the new board, system works perfectly now.
m
l
!