Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3 rd genration core i5 PC need advice

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2012 8:23:33 AM

I am building a new custom PC .
so i am looking for a good configuration .
the parts i have decided to buy are :
Processor : Intel® Core™ i5-3450 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
Motherboard :Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H [ ref- http://tinyurl.com/8c9yfwo ]

PSU :500 Watt . Corsair 400R Mid Tower Cabinet
Optical drive : 1 x Sony DVD RW
i am using old keyboard , mouse and speaker
[ no graphics card , but i will install it later ]
but i am stuck with RAM ,
RAM mentioned in the article [ 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1333 see link ] are not available right now [ i am placing this order to a dealer , this way i can save more money ]

so i want you guys to suggest me a good 4 GB ram ,
i searched the Qualified Vendor list for supported RAM and found out that
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB PC RAM {F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL ) 2*2GB is in support list
but one Gskill website , this motherboard is not in the Qualified Motherboards List . So i am kinda confused .

so please help me for RAM

Quote:
Suitable 4 GB RAM for Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H

More about : genration core advice

September 19, 2012 9:47:31 AM

Replace your mobo with an H77 one. Z77 is made for OCing. (basically)

Make sure that PSU is of good quality. Check out some reviews to see if its any good.

Why not 8GBs of RAM? It will prevent you from upgrading it in the future since only editors use more than 8GBs.
m
l
September 19, 2012 11:10:57 AM

just give us

a budget
and ifyou are doing crossfire or sli in the future
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 19, 2012 11:55:33 AM

Nw333 said:
Replace your mobo with an H77 one. Z77 is made for OCing. (basically)

Make sure that PSU is of good quality. Check out some reviews to see if its any good.

Why not 8GBs of RAM? It will prevent you from upgrading it in the future since only editors use more than 8GBs.

z77 mobo's are starting around $100 so I wouldn't rule them out. They aren't all for OC'ing and give you the most for your value, especially if you have to resort to using the integrate GPU/APU of the processor. The B75 based mobo would be the cheapest I would go for, if your on a tight budget.

Depending on budget here is what I'd consider:
* Intel i3570k is only about $30 more here in the U.S. and well worth it, IMHO (Unlocked multiplier, so you can OC easier has the 4000 GPU built in too, in case you need to use it until you get your dedicated GPU.
* B75 based mobo (!$70-80) at the least and better to get the z77 based mobo (~$90 on up) so you can have onboard USB 3.0 (used for front USB ports on some cases).
* CM HAF 922 & Corsair 300 are good alternative cases w/front USB 3.0 ports
* 2 x 4 gb of DDR3 1600 mHz at stock voltage of 1.5v are some good options to have. Gskill, Corsair, Crucial are all good brands to consider.
September 19, 2012 3:08:51 PM

OK i do agree that i don't need z77 chipsets , i am not a extreme gamer
so i need to make some changes ,
New Config is
Processor Intel Core i5 – 3450 - 3.1 GHz 3rd Generation
Motherboard ASUS P8H77-M LE Motherboard
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB – 1600 [ added extra 4 GB , total is 8 GB ]
Hard Disk Seagate 1 TB [ no change]
Optical Drive 1 x Sony DVD RW
Power Supply Cooler Master EXtreme Power 600 Watts,Corsair 400R Mid Tower Cabinet [ in future i will install latest DDR5 1 GB Graphics card ]
Monitor 18'5 Samsung LED

now i have couple of questions , [ i am a nooob so don't mind ]
1] Intel Third gen offers various features like : WiDi ,Intel® Quick Sync Video,Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology,Intel® Insider™,Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI,
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology,intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x),Intel® Anti-Theft Technology i mean there are lot of em . [http://ark.intel.com/products/65511 ]

do i need a best motherboard to make good use of those feature ,
is this motherboard ASUS P8H77-M LE enough for that .

Quote:
Processor Intel Core i5 – 3450 - 3.1 GHz 3rd Generation
Motherboard ASUS P8H77-M LE Motherboard
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB – 1600 [ added extra 4 GB , total is 8 GB ]
Hard Disk Seagate 1 TB [ no change]
Optical Drive 1 x Sony DVD RW
Power Supply Cooler Master EXtreme Power 600 Watts,Corsair 400R Mid Tower Cabinet [ in future i will install latest DDR5 1 GB Graphics card ]
Monitor 18'5 Samsung LED

m
l
September 20, 2012 12:36:03 AM

I would not get the H77 based mobo. The z77 does help if your OC'ing later, but the options you get with it are worth it, IMHO. You won't have to upgrade your mobo later, if you buy a z77 based mobo now.

Your PSU isn't the best choice. I would stick with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C PSU brands. They are built well and offer better support than most other brands.

You still haven't:
* Given us a budget for the upgrade parts?
* Where your buying your parts from (U.S., U.K., etc.)?
* Are you going to Crossfire/SLI your GPU's in the future?

After you answer these questions above, we will be able to help you better.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:38:25 AM

z77 is at its end. nothing else you can upgrade to in hasewell
m
l
September 20, 2012 1:08:40 AM

TheBigTroll said:
z77 is at its end. nothing else you can upgrade to in hasewell

This is true, but if I'm buying a system based off of Ivy Bridge CPU, I'm going to buy the best mobo for the $ with all of the options possible. This would be the z77 based mobo's. Yes it allows for CPU OC'ing, which is a good thing. 2-3 years down the road, if you want a bit more CPU power, you can OC your CPU and not have to change any parts out (unless you do some more extreme OC'ing you'll probably need a better CPU HSF).

It's up to you, but for the small amount of price ($20-30 moe) for the z77 based mobo), I think it allows you more options later when your system might need a little boost.
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:11:49 AM

Thanks " TheBigTroll" and " lunyone "
ok Z77 is a better option and I don't have to upgrade anything latter
I am placing an order through a dealer , I dont wanna save money on Motherboard , Processor
so i am choosing the best

core i5 3450
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
----330$------
RAM - Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB
----40$-------
PSU - 600 WATT [ Antec , Corsair , sea-sonic ,cooler-master ] [ dealer will help me to select best one and cheap ]
Cabinet , mouse and keyboard , and other stuff [ dealer will help me ]
The whole set up --650 $

**i will install graphics card later , yes i am going to Crossfire/SLI my gpu in future
**US based .
** $700 [ i want to install graphics card later and other stuff ]
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:15:42 AM

Best answer selected by Ryan_xkx.
m
l
September 20, 2012 10:50:30 AM

you cant crossfire with the z77mx d3h. only 1 video card

for the psu, id suggest the xfx 550w. 44.99 after MIR at us.ncix.com. wont do crossfire but will do a single card
m
l
!