8.00 gb installed only 3.92 usable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayman23

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I need help. I just built my first computer and literally everything works great except for my ram....

I installed the windows 8 oem (system builder) 64 BIT!!!! so im positive it is a 64 bit, i also have the m5a99fx pro R2.0 motherboard and I updated to the most recent bios (i think).

I already went into system config and unchecked max memory.

bios says I have 4096mb ram but in the dimm slot overview its says the 2 slots are taken.

I have 2 gskill ARES ddr3-1866 4096mb sticks but I don't think its a compatibility issue....so I'm stumped!!! please help!!

Solution

Yes, that stick is dead.

jayman23

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

no i tried that too and it didn't work

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I'm almost ready to blame the motherboard/ BIOS version, but I would like to double check something:

I know you said you are "positive" it's a 64 bit system because you installed a 64 bit system. Does your system identify itself as a 64-bit system within the OS?

Under "system" in "system and security" in your control panel?

Does it actually say, in effect, "Hi, I'm a 64-bit system"?

A 64bit OS will not install on a system that has a 32bit only CPU and the OP having DDR3 RAM suggests that it's a recent up to date CPU and they have all been 32/64 bit capable for some years now.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

That wasn't what I was asking.

If I was going through this, I would not care if the software box said "64-bit operating system."

I would not be satisfied it was 64-bit until I verified it was a 64-bit system from inside the OS itself. It's a simple thing to check off of the suspect list.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
bios says I have 4096mb ram but in the dimm slot overview its says the 2 slots are taken.

the os doesn't even matter at this point. If the bios is seeing 4gb, then its a potential problem with the memory or the board. If you test each stick separate, does it see each one as 4gb when by itself?

Does it only boot with one of the 2 sticks?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

Lol, I don't think we are communicating.

What did you do when I aked you to try "one stick at a time"?

Not sure how I could have worded it any better. Maybe I should have said "one stick each"?

jayman23

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

i took one stick out, and left one stick in....then booted the computer, it popped up just fine
then I swapped that stick out with the other one and repeated that for every DIMM slot. everytime I used the "bad stick" it would not boot no matter which slot i put it in and the other stick worked in each slot. Did I communicate this well enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.