Sign in with
Your question

Graphics and... system upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 6:21:40 AM

Hello all,

I'm interested in upgrading my video card - I'm still using an NVIDIA 8800 GT (512 i think?), which has served me faithfully but is lagging in Skyrim and the like.

Specs~
CPU: Core 2 Duo e8400 3.0MGHz
Motherboard: MSI p35 Neo2
Graphics: NVIDIA 8800 GT
RAM: 4GB DDR2

Now, the machine is a few years old, sure, but it works fine for all non-gaming uses. However, the more I research new cards the more I'm seeing that it's likely that if I upgrade the card I have to upgrade the board, as the MSI Neo2 doesn't have a PCIe 2.0 slot, and then I wonder if a new graphics card is worthwhile if the CPU isn't up to snuff as well...

Any advice on how to proceed? Am I looking at new board, cpu, gpu and upgrading to DDR3? I'd be fine dropping some cash on an overhaul (say...200-400?), but I wasn't necessarily intending on building a whole new machine here...
Thoughts?
Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 6:28:29 AM

Your motherboard would need to be compatible with DDR3, but it won't help speed up your PC that much. You can probably get away with using the GTX 550 Ti without bottlenecking your PC too much, but a new computer is probably the best choice (you might as well if you are upgrading the mobo, RAM and CPU).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 7:28:09 AM

^this. The CPU, mobo and GPU seem to be on a 'weak' side. I would recommend you to upgrade the mobo, ram and cpu instead of just upgrading the gpu, sooner or later you have to do it anyway.

- Fastreaction
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 7:33:59 AM

My buddy runs 2 550Ti's on his E8400 fine. Slight bottleneck, but not too bad. I would say the most you should go is for the 6850.
m
l
!