Sign in with
Your question

Do I have a big enough power supply?

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2013 9:24:12 PM

Hello! I am a first time builder and I just bought some stuff, which included the Thermaltake V2, that says it has a 450W power supply, but after further research, i found out that companies can optimize thier wattage output.
Then i got a Radeon hd 6770 for gaming on high res, which says it needs about 450W by itself.
Now when i turn it on, the fans work, (power supply, led fan, graphics card) everything lights up, but the monitor stays black. Now i've already spent more money than i wanted to on this thing. My friend, who has done this before said max: $400, but after a wireless keyboard, mouse, windows 8, and a new video card, but im almost doubling that, so i REALLy dont wanna buy a new power supply, but if i have to, than its fine

More about : big power supply

a c 87 ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 9:40:19 PM

Check for PCI connectors on that power supply. The graphics card that you have needs PCI power input.
m
l
a c 282 ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 10:02:41 PM

thisisaperson1 said:
Hello! I am a first time builder and I just bought some stuff, which included the Thermaltake V2, that says it has a 450W power supply, but after further research, i found out that companies can optimize thier wattage output.
Then i got a Radeon hd 6770 for gaming on high res, which says it needs about 450W by itself.
Now when i turn it on, the fans work, (power supply, led fan, graphics card) everything lights up, but the monitor stays black. Now i've already spent more money than i wanted to on this thing. My friend, who has done this before said max: $400, but after a wireless keyboard, mouse, windows 8, and a new video card, but im almost doubling that, so i REALLy dont wanna buy a new power supply, but if i have to, than its fine

Hi - the good news is 450w psu is all that's required to run
a system with one 6770. The other news is, you need to find
make/model of that psu & post it here. So we can get an
idea if it's "really a 450w" psu. There's a lot of junk psu's out there.

Ubrales already alerted you to one issue and that the card needs
a pci-e power connector.

So, plz check & post info on your psu.

Tom
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 10:06:11 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - the good news is 450w psu is all that's required to run
a system with one 6770. The other news is, you need to find
make/model of that psu & post it here. So we can get an
idea if it's "really a 450w" psu. There's a lot of junk psu's out there.

Ubrales already alerted you to one issue and that the card needs
a pci-e power connector.

So, plz check & post info on your psu.

Tom

The PSU included in the Thermaltake does not have any PCI connector.
m
l
a c 282 ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 10:13:59 PM

Ubrales said:
The PSU included in the Thermaltake does not have any PCI connector.

Ah- PSU was included with the case, yes he needs to
purch a psu if he wants to run a 6770.
m
l
February 2, 2013 11:43:06 PM

toyftw said:
Ah- PSU was included with the case, yes he needs to
purch a psu if he wants to run a 6770.

Will a new psu fix the screen problem too?
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
February 2, 2013 11:49:04 PM

thisisaperson1 said:
Will a new psu fix the screen problem too?

Yes! Get a good brand PSU in the 500 watts (or higher) range. Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX. Look for sales and promos on Newegg. Make sure that it has at least one PCI connector.
m
l
February 3, 2013 5:55:59 PM

Ubrales said:
Yes! Get a good brand PSU in the 500 watts (or higher) range. Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX. Look for sales and promos on Newegg. Make sure that it has at least one PCI connector.

OK!! Thank you guys SO much! This whole thing has been a much bigger hassle than i was expecting :) 
m
l
!