bigmjh

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Where is the "sweet spot" (performance / price) for graphics cards now? Also, which brands seem to be the most dependable? And, lastly, does anyone have the link to a report that I saw online comparing the sound level of various cards? Thanks.

fastreaction

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
Actually I don't think that there is a card that is and cheap and quiet and has excellent performance. The quality of the performance depends on the user. What do you plan to do with it. Playing games on ultra 1920x1080 or just surfing the web and checking emails.

- Fastreaction

bigmjh

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

No games ... NOT looking for a high-end, multi-card, gamers card ... my use is mostly Photoshop, Vegas Pro ... video rendering, web surfing ... etc. Primarily I'm looking for quiet and dependable. Price not important ... but want to get as much performance (for above uses) as possible for $$$ spent.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
The GTX 570 seems reasonable to me. I cannot justify spending $400 on a GPU, but 200-250 seems to be a decent enough price. This is all personal preference though, the 'sweet spot' is more like how much money can I spend.

Edit: If price is no object then I would definately recommend the GTX 670.

TechPowerUp has good charts featuring noise levels. In general, you will see the card that is being reviewed alongside other reference model cards. To see noise levels for particular cards with custom cooling, you have to seek out that actual model, or one close to it in the 'Reviews' section.

Here is their most recent review with the noise levels for various cards:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/HD_7970_SOC/27.html

fannoise_load.gif