Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Case fans randomly throttle

Last response: in Components
Share
February 2, 2013 9:57:04 PM

I just transferred my system to a Phantom 410 case and i have been having case fan troubles. Every so often, whether or not i am doing something, my case fans go to 100% for about 10 seconds then return to normal. I plugged the Front and Rear fan straight into the motherboard because i couldnt figure out how to use the fan controller built in to the case.
February 2, 2013 11:05:39 PM

MSI Afterburner has a fan control profile why don't you try that. It could be an intermittent sensor saying it is overheating.
m
0
l
February 2, 2013 11:37:09 PM

jnkweaver said:
MSI Afterburner has a fan control profile why don't you try that. It could be an intermittent sensor saying it is overheating.

I got my fan controller working, it is actually my CPU heatsink that is making all the noise. It never did this until i switched cases, no hardware was changed during the swap. Would i have to replace the motherboard or the heatsink in order to avoid this problem? No program i know has a cpu fan controller, not even my bios allows me to change it. The one you speak of in afterburner is for the GPU
m
0
l
Related resources
February 3, 2013 8:06:49 PM

taxemicshadow said:
I got my fan controller working, it is actually my CPU heatsink that is making all the noise. It never did this until i switched cases, no hardware was changed during the swap. Would i have to replace the motherboard or the heatsink in order to avoid this problem? No program i know has a cpu fan controller, not even my bios allows me to change it. The one you speak of in afterburner is for the GPU


Ok but to be fair in the beginning you were talking about case fans. I thought MSI could control anything on the motherboard my mistake.

You need to monitor the temps of the cpu when the fans ramp up to see if you are having temperature swings.

Speedfan can control CPU fansbut you have to set it up properly. Make sure you configure your PWM modes to software controlled.
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 8:25:55 PM

jnkweaver said:
Ok but to be fair in the beginning you were talking about case fans. I thought MSI could control anything on the motherboard my mistake.

You need to monitor the temps of the cpu when the fans ramp up to see if you are having temperature swings.

Speedfan can control CPU fansbut you have to set it up properly. Make sure you configure your PWM modes to software controlled.

Highest temp on my CPU has been 37°C, It shows no exact point where it starts up, sometimes at 36°, maybe at 37° but mostly random. The CPU usage may have something to do with it, sometimes it spikes from 5% to about 30% which I find odd as it is an I5-2320 and I don't recall seeing such spikes when just on the internet. If it may help, i have none of my case fans plugged into my motherboard and when I start up it gives me a case fan failure warning because they are plugged into the controller on my case. I have thought about plugging my CPU fan into a 3pin case fan header but I know that wouldn't end well
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 9:00:25 PM

taxemicshadow said:
Highest temp on my CPU has been 37°C, It shows no exact point where it starts up, sometimes at 36°, maybe at 37° but mostly random. The CPU usage may have something to do with it, sometimes it spikes from 5% to about 30% which I find odd as it is an I5-2320 and I don't recall seeing such spikes when just on the internet. If it may help, i have none of my case fans plugged into my motherboard and when I start up it gives me a case fan failure warning because they are plugged into the controller on my case. I have thought about plugging my CPU fan into a 3pin case fan header but I know that wouldn't end well


You should be able to turn off the warning by telling it not to monitor that portion (I have my side case open warning turned off).

As far as the cpu fan if the temp is not going up with the fan than it is probably a bad pwm signal from the motherboard. I think speedfan may be able to control the fans but if the motherboard is sending spurious signals I don't know.

I also wonder about the powersupply. Many weird hardware electrical issues is a bad power supply. What is the make and model and wattage of your powersupply?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 10:30:37 PM

jnkweaver said:
You should be able to turn off the warning by telling it not to monitor that portion (I have my side case open warning turned off).

As far as the cpu fan if the temp is not going up with the fan than it is probably a bad pwm signal from the motherboard. I think speedfan may be able to control the fans but if the motherboard is sending spurious signals I don't know.

I also wonder about the powersupply. Many weird hardware electrical issues is a bad power supply. What is the make and model and wattage of your powersupply?

My powersupply Is a Rosewill Xtreme 750w. I think most likely there is something wrong with a fan controller either in my odd bios which i cant find any updates for or my motherboard in general
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 10:32:13 PM

taxemicshadow said:
My powersupply Is a Rosewill Xtreme 750w. I think most likely there is something wrong with a fan controller either in my odd bios which i cant find any updates for or my motherboard in general


You could be right. What is your motherboard?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 10:35:07 PM

jnkweaver said:
You could be right. What is your motherboard?

Standard one that comes with a Dell inpiron 620. I bought it because my parents didn't trust me to build my ow at the time but I have gained much more knowledge since then and now The cpu, hard drive, and motherboard are all that remain the same
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 10:48:33 PM

taxemicshadow said:
Standard one that comes with a Dell inpiron 620. I bought it because my parents didn't trust me to build my ow at the time but I have gained much more knowledge since then and now The cpu, hard drive, and motherboard are all that remain the same


Weird when I look for the Bios it is A04 but when I go through the OS then it is A08. Do you have A08 installed?
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 11:05:00 PM

jnkweaver said:
Weird when I look for the Bios it is A04 but when I go through the OS then it is A08. Do you have A08 installed?

It says I have A04
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 11:20:21 PM

taxemicshadow said:
It says I have A04


Are you using Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit?
m
0
l

Best solution

February 3, 2013 11:27:07 PM

taxemicshadow said:
It says I have A04


Looks like it has been out for about a week.

64 bit
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDeta...

32bit
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDeta...

Not sure if there is really a difference but they do have it separated.
Share
February 3, 2013 11:49:04 PM

jnkweaver said:
Looks like it has been out for about a week.

64 bit
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDeta...

32bit
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDeta...

Not sure if there is really a difference but they do have it separated.

Hey, thanks for hunting down the drivers. I'll install them and see if it makes any difference. If not, ill sell some *** I don't use and replace my mobo with an MSI one thats on sale and get a corsair H100 to finish off my computer
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 12:25:42 AM

Best answer selected by taxemicshadow.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 12:37:24 AM

taxemicshadow said:
THANK YOU! Turns out it was my BIOS.


Good to know what it was.
m
0
l
!