Sign in with
Your question

Redused scaling on computer startup - underscan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 7:27:55 AM

Hi,

After updating to the 12.6 driver for my HIS Radeon HD 7950 a few days ago my screen is automatically scaled down to about 5-10 % underscan every time I boot the system. This makes the screen unclear (resolution appear poor) and I have a black border around the picture.

After about a minute or so the screen automatically adjust itself to 0 % underscan, the picture fills the screen and I get a clear picture.

This was not so in the previous version of the driver (that was the first I installed on my system).

Not being comfortable adjusting settings in CCC/Windows at all, I wonder if someone can help me solve this so that I don't get the underscaling every time I boot.

Thank you!
July 31, 2012 8:05:03 PM

That simply should not happen. You have it set to 0% in CCC?

Does your monitor have its own overscan controls?

If everything is set like it should be, but it is still doing this, maybe you should uninstall CCC, use driversweeper, and then do a fresh install of the driver.
m
l
July 31, 2012 8:24:45 PM

danawesome89 said:
That simply should not happen. You have it set to 0% in CCC?

Does your monitor have its own overscan controls?

Not as far as I know? It is an Samsung S24B300H monitor.

I have tried to uninstall the driver and using Driver Fusion afterwards. Then I have reinstalled using the CD that came with the graphics card (the strange thing here is that after installation of the CD, it is still version 12.6(!). Should it not be a lower version of the driver then?)

I have also installed using a download from the AMD sites called "12-6_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc" that I assume is the correct one.

I'm also having performance issues in a flight simulator called DCS: A-10C (but that is another story I guess unless the two problems are related).
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 8:32:36 PM

And yes, the scaling is set to 0% in CCC
m
l
July 31, 2012 8:34:36 PM

Hmmm... That sounds to me like it is not removing all of the previous driver.

I have never heard of or used Driver Fusion, so I have no idea if that works well or not.

I believe I have usually used Driver Sweeper. Maybe try that instead and see if it does a better job of clearing out your previous install.

And yes, it looks like you are downloading the correct driver.
m
l
July 31, 2012 8:54:22 PM

Hoggorm said:
Driver Fusion is apparently the latest update of Driver Sweeper:

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-fusion-110.html

Maybe the new version sucks/has bugs?

It's a long shot, but you could download the old Driver Sweeper and see if it works better.
m
l
!