Sign in with
Your question

New Ge Force 8400GS 1gb Graphics Card Fitted;- keeps attempting to reboot before

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 8:44:12 AM

Hello,
Im a bit of a newbie at this sort of thing so please bare with me... ;) 

I have recently purchased a Palit Geforce 8400 gs for my Advent Tower PC as i want to run a dual screen setup for easier music production. I was told it was easy so gave it a go. The old graphics card is built into the motherboard and is mounted vertically.

Before installing the new card into the PCI-E Slot, I went into the first load up bios menu screen (by pressing ESC or DEL on mine, cant remember now) where it gives you the options of the Chipset bios, etc, and changed the 'boot from' setting in the vga options (if i remember rightly) to PCI-E slot (x16), saved and exited the menu.

I then powered down the PC, installed the new graphics card and plugged a screen into the vga slot of the new card.

On booting up it seems normal but when it gets to the screen which reads 'verifying DMI pool Data', the screen cuts out and the pc starts rebooting again from the beginning...it will continue to do this repeatedly until i turn it off.

Ive tried installing a new driver for it in windows without the new card in the PCI-E slot but it wouldnt let me. I have taken the card out and reverted back to the original ('Intel(R) G33/31 express chipset family Card' if thats the one) but would really like to get this working if possible!!!

Ive read about Underpowered PSUs is it? but have no idea where id find the information on this and havn't really got much of an idea of what to do next...

Appreciate any help at all, Ive tried to be as thorough with explaining as i can but let me know if theres anything i have missed out.

LUKE

My
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 4:14:56 PM

What are the rest of your specs. Honestly, the 8400GS consumes only a small amount of power. But I'd like to know of your PSU first.
July 31, 2012 8:03:10 PM

I took the cover of the PC off and the only number which would make sense is 305W.
Related resources
July 31, 2012 8:05:45 PM

Its a pentium dual core, 3gb ram thats all i know mate, sorry. If its needed desperately i might be able to find it on the pc once up and running.
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 11:39:45 AM

That's alright.
The 8400GS should also work with that motherboard, as I've had an almost same setup. Could you try the card on a friend's PC?
a c 181 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 4:24:54 AM

That GPU will work with the 305w PSU even if it is a generic one. The watts that the card under load is not very high at all. You only need 3amps on the 12v rail and this is about 32 watts.

So if your card is in a loop like that it might be just the card it's self or the MOBO or even the PSU. The MOBO culd have a problem with the PCIe slot or the PSU is have a issue getting the power to the PCIe slot.

My guess would be the card that there is a problem with it because your system can handle the card. You need ot rule out the card before worrying about the stuff. So do like Gman suggested.

Try your card in a friends rig or try another card in yours to rule out PSU and MOBO. Good luck to you.
!