Keyboard and mouse stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipit4u

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hello,
I was working on my computer just fine had some windows open and using chrome with a few tabs open my usual operation. I stepped away and came back 10 mins later and my screen was frozen so i thought. Then I noticed my mouse had no power to it cuz the light was off under the mouse. I unpluged the usb and plugged it back in and the light came on but there was no movement. Then I realized that my keyboard wasn't responding either becuase I tried the Cntrl Alt Del. to bring up the task mangr. after no resultsI did a hard shut down. Now there is still no sign of response from the keyboard or mouse. I can't sign on when the windows loads up to sign in the computer. I did hit all the functions keys trying to get something to close too when it ha ppend but nothing. could I have hit a function key that would lock out the keyboard? I've unpluged everything and turned it back on but still no response from the keyboard so I can't log the computer on. It does boot upbut then goes no further cuz I cant type my password in. Any ideas? Please help I have a business that I need to use the computer for. It's a Dell desktop running XPS 400 using Windows. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
It sounds like a mobo failure. Just for giggles open the case and look at....dont touch the motherboard.....there will be little round things on the board called capiciters look and see if any of them are domed or exploding meaning there is fluid coming out of them. If not are you plugging the keyboard and mouse in the front or the back, if its the front try the back. This dell case is none for losing the usb module that is hooked to the mobo from the front. Cheers.

flipit4u

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hubbardt - I can't get to safe mode because when it boots up its the screen asking me to log into windows and I can't type or use the mouse.

CaptJack- I will see if I can get to the Mobo and look for those signs. I use the back usb ports but I did also switch them to the front to see if that would work and still had the same issue. Thanks I'll report back in a bit with my findings. I was wondering if there was some sort of virus that would cause this cuz my Kaspersky anti virus has been expired for a couple weeks. but was running normal and like I said I was using the computer per usual and just stepped away for a few and when I came back it was stuck. Also when I reboot the mouse light will blink on but then it will go out and if I unplug it and plug it back in it shows power but still don't work. it's one of those wheel-less mouses and just has a lazer under it or something lol just an LED to me. I tried plugging it into my tablet that I'm using now but it didn't recognise it, but I'm thinking because I have a keyboard dock on my tablet.

flipit4u

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

oops sorry I replied as additional information check the thread. Going to look into it now thanks again bro for your input.

flipit4u

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hey Jack,
I did open her up to find it was dusty as hell so I vacuumed it anyway. I checked the mother board like you said and everything seems ok. The Mobo has a green light on it, I'm thinking that's a good sign lol what I did notice was inside where the rear USB ports are there was an orange light showing but looked like there is a green one there but it was not illuminated . I wonder if that's an indicator that my ports are bad? On the other hand the front ones aren't as easy to see but I could see a green light coming from that area. But I also tried plugging in the keyboard and mouse to those two ports in the front and they still didn't respond. :(
There is a yellow light blinking next to the orange one in the rear also almost like it's flashing a code. But you would think if the rears were bad the fronts may work. but that's not the case...

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
You can try getting into Safe mode to see if it works in safe mode. All you have to do to do this is press the F8 key right after the dell screen goes down. Select safe mode and see if you have keyboard or mouse there. If not there are couple other options to try. When hitting the F8 key select go to last work configuration and see if that solves the issue. What we have to do here is separate the hardware from the software to see which is the problem. If the above options dont work. Insert your windows disk and boot to it. If you have keyboard and mouse there. Its a windows issue and you will either have to repair windows or reinstall it. If you still dont have keyboard and mouse. Its a hardware issue, and most likely but certainly a failed mobo. Let me know what you find.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

I did not see this before I replied last. Either insert the windows disk or try getting into the bios. To enter the bios on a dell PC hit the F2 key on the dell screen if it goes into the bios its a windows issue and you will most likely have to reinstall windows because win7 and vista don't repair most of the time. If none of my instructions work its time for a new board or you can take it to a PC shop and have it looked over. AVOID BIG BOX shops like best buy, staples and such for repair. They are not equiped or have the knowledge to deal with real computer repair. Try googling your issue to see if there are any suggestions for this issue. Check the URL below. http://bit.ly/WmU4Ay

Solution

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Well I just googled this myself after giving you the link and this is a known issue for this chassis. If you can replace it I would. If not use the link I sent you and try some the suggestions.

flipit4u

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Thanks so much for all your help first of all... I turned it on and tried the F8 like you said but like I assumed it didn't help because the keys arent working. I did notice the light under my mouse goes on during the boot process but then once it's in the sign on screen the mouse goes out again. I will try the link you suggested but I'm almost thinking that my USB ports a fried ahh, but just dond on me that if that were the case I wouldn't get any power to the mouse at all and that's not the case because like I said if I unplug it and plug it back in the light comes on for the mouse but it won't work.. Damn..
You rock for all your help and suggestions though...

flipit4u

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Wow Capt.
I looked over some other threads and found one that said something about jumping by finding the blue pin cover located on the mobo. I did this and also held the power button for 15 secs while unplugged because he mentioned doing that also. I plugged it all back in and it booted to the dos screen and the keyboard is working. Now I'm just stuck on what I should do or just let it boot up. i think that persons problem was he assumed that it was a virus or what ever its called trying to log keystrokes? I would love it if someone could call me and just walk me through what to do in the dos system screen I'm in.. I'd be pumpped.. Thanks again for your help..

flipit4u

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Sorry for all the replies but I just want you to know that the problem is solved I believe at first the mouse wasn't responding still once I logged in and booted up but I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's working. :) So happy. Now I just have to figure out if it was some spyware trying to access my keystrokes. Time to upgrade my kaspersky's that's for sure.
You guys rock and thanks so much for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.