Sign in with
Your question

Buying a Power Supply

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2013 10:55:09 PM

Some years ago, I built my first PC with the help of my cousin. A few mishaps happened, the most obvious at the time being that I wasted too much money thanks to not having experience in buying PC components.

~2years after building it, it started having problems powering up (NO Post). I took it to a tech shop were I have connections, and they gave me a new mobo and new video card just because (Nvidia gtx 460).

About 2 months ago, same problem happens. I take it to them, this time they say the mobo capacitors are bad, and they can't help me as much as they did last time for free.

So I already got a new mobo (ASUS P8Z68-V), and am planning to get an Intel i5 2500k or 3570k.

Anyways, just a background: the only thing I can think of that could've done this is a bad PSU. I'm obviously looking to get a new one along with the CPU to finally be able to game again. However, as I mentioned, I don't want to make the same mistake of buying costly, yet crappy, components.

I need around 550watts according to the newegg calculator, but I'm looking for a ~600w one just in case I decide to upgrade stuff in the future.

My question is, which of these is the right direction (most important thing here is quality, not that one has a bit more power than the other, or the small price difference)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I took both of these from the Power Supply Guides and UPS info thread

More about : buying power supply

February 2, 2013 11:29:32 PM

Hi. Both PSU are good and made by SeaSonic. The TX650 V2 can be had for $50 after promo code and rebate but the M12II 620 has modular cabling. Also you should see whether you need to flash the BIOS for the motherboard to support the i5-3570K.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:16:42 AM

I'd go Corsair, simply cuz of better price. Also, a modular PSU is nice, but not necessary, especially if you want to save some money.

Extra cords can always be tucked away somewhere.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:19:08 AM

^+1 to johnsonjohnson

i have a P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

and needed a bios update to support a 3570k
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 12:29:14 AM

I'd probably get the Seasonic one since it is partially modular, which can make a huge difference in your cable management. The TX-650 V2 is a great PSU, though - I actually have one myself.

Both of these PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic, which has a reputation for good quality. Corsair also has pretty good customer service in my opinion.

As far as the wattage, keep in mind that neither 620 nor 650 is enough to let you comfortable add a second GPU if you wanted to in the future. For that, you'd want around 750W.

Anyway, can't go wrong with either of those, but I'd go with the modular one if I didn't think I'd need more power than that.
m
l
February 3, 2013 10:08:26 AM

johnsonjohnson said:
Hi. Both PSU are good and made by SeaSonic. The TX650 V2 can be had for $50 after promo code and rebate but the M12II 620 has modular cabling. Also you should see whether you need to flash the BIOS for the motherboard to support the i5-3570K.

mcnumpty23 said:
^+1 to johnsonjohnson

i have a P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

and needed a bios update to support a 3570k

Woah, thanks for the warning to both of you...bit off topic I guess but, how'd I go about doing that without a CPU in the first place? Any chance that, if I can't, I can send the mobo back to ASUS and they give me one that does support Ivy Bridge?

Edit: Seems this is a solution...I can't find the BIOS my mobo came with like this guy says.

envy14tpe said:
I'd go Corsair, simply cuz of better price. Also, a modular PSU is nice, but not necessary, especially if you want to save some money.

Extra cords can always be tucked away somewhere.

Thanks...I guess I could just tuck away the cords...doesn't really make a huge difference in terms of heat though, right?

JMer806 said:
I'd probably get the Seasonic one since it is partially modular, which can make a huge difference in your cable management. The TX-650 V2 is a great PSU, though - I actually have one myself.

Both of these PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic, which has a reputation for good quality. Corsair also has pretty good customer service in my opinion.

As far as the wattage, keep in mind that neither 620 nor 650 is enough to let you comfortable add a second GPU if you wanted to in the future. For that, you'd want around 750W.

Anyway, can't go wrong with either of those, but I'd go with the modular one if I didn't think I'd need more power than that.

Yea man, I'm not going overkill because I really can't afford it; if/when I change my GPU it will be when the GTX 650-670 go down in price, and even then...

Thanks to all...I'll think about it today since Corsairs's sale ends tomorrow...Seems there's no really bad choice. For now, seems Corsair to me since it's cheaper and more watts, but I'd really like to know if not being modular *seriously* affects ventilation (which I doubt).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2013 10:37:02 AM

some asus boards can bios flash without a cpu--just put flash drive in and push a button

though dont think the ASUS P8Z68-V can unfortunately

wherever you bought the motherboard from may be able to tell you if it has a bios to support ivybridge
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2013 1:21:29 AM

plutonicmind9 said:
Woah, thanks for the warning to both of you...bit off topic I guess but, how'd I go about doing that without a CPU in the first place? Any chance that, if I can't, I can send the mobo back to ASUS and they give me one that does support Ivy Bridge?

Edit: Seems this is a solution...I can't find the BIOS my mobo came with like this guy says.

Thanks...I guess I could just tuck away the cords...doesn't really make a huge difference in terms of heat though, right?

Yea man, I'm not going overkill because I really can't afford it; if/when I change my GPU it will be when the GTX 650-670 go down in price, and even then...

Thanks to all...I'll think about it today since Corsairs's sale ends tomorrow...Seems there's no really bad choice. For now, seems Corsair to me since it's cheaper and more watts, but I'd really like to know if not being modular *seriously* affects ventilation (which I doubt).

As far as your last question - it really depends on you and your case.

If you're a good cable management guy (like Moto in the hardware thread), then a non-modular unit shouldn't be a problem. Same thing if you've got a case with lots of room to stash unused cables. But if you're a little messier or if your case doesn't have room, then it can make a big difference. But really, with a little work and finagling you can keep non-modular cables out of the way.

Like you said, you can't go wrong between these two. Just a little more info :) 
m
l
February 4, 2013 3:32:57 AM

johnsonjohnson said:
I don't know if ASUS will do that for you but maybe the tech shop you're friendly with can help you flash the BIOS? The i5-2500K is supported but the i5-3570K will require BIOS version 3203 or higher: http://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/39/P8Z68-V/8/

3203 or 3202? I managed to find the bar code on my MOBO, and the last 4 numbers (which, according to that post I linked to before, indicate the BIOS the MOBO shipped with) are 3202. According to that same post, it is 3202 which is needed for the BIOS...Also, I found this info

Seems I'm lucky and it's 3202. Still, just asking you to be sure, because if it is 3202 then I've dodged a problem...if it's 3203 like you say, then I have another thing to deal with.

Thanks for the info :) 

JMer806 said:
As far as your last question - it really depends on you and your case.

If you're a good cable management guy (like Moto in the hardware thread), then a non-modular unit shouldn't be a problem. Same thing if you've got a case with lots of room to stash unused cables. But if you're a little messier or if your case doesn't have room, then it can make a big difference. But really, with a little work and finagling you can keep non-modular cables out of the way.

Like you said, you can't go wrong between these two. Just a little more info :) 

I think I'm gonna go with the Seasonic, JUST because of the reviews...there's a few about the Seasonic not working and such, but there's more serious complains about Corsair and their customer support. Plus, I doubt those +30watts ever come in handy anyways, since if I reach 600watts I'd upgrade anyways just to be safe.

Another off topic question but, any way I can know when/if the Intel i5 3570k (or any high-end i5 LGA 1155 for that matter) will go down in price? I mean, when the Haswell releases, is it expected for 1155 to go cheaper?
m
l
February 4, 2013 3:48:49 AM

Oh I was looking at the P8Z68-V and not the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. I apologize. I believe version 3202 should support the CPU compared to the similar BIOS version 3203's description of the P8Z68-V. I may be wrong. How to check your BIOS: http://www.asus.com/support/Article/563/

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/39/P8Z68-V/8/
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z68V_PROGEN3/#support...

Edit: Looks like you found it already. If your motherboard is the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and it has BIOS version 3202, then you should be fine.
m
l
!