Deformed aspect ratio in 1080p

korineczek

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello kind people of Tom's Hardware.

First I would like to say that I have searched all over the internet to find a solution, but with no success, because I haven't encountered even a remotely similar case on the web. And because I have heard of the renowned Tom's Hardware forums, I have decided to bring the problem over here.

--THE PROBLEM--

My setup currently consists of the Nvidia 560Ti paired together with a SAMSUNG s24b370 24'' led monitor. The screen is sold as a native 1080p, however if I set 1920*1080 as my resolution, the aspect ratio is deformed, in other words: squares are suddenly rectangles and circles become elipses.

Only solution I came up with was forcing the card into a custom 1920*1200 resolution, which fixed the problem. Thing I don't really undersand is why a 16:9 screen only displays correctly 16:10 resolutions.

As a side note: this problem occured with my Acer G24 (also 1080p) + HD4850 as well, but that was fixed by running 1680*1050 (16:10), as my general specs weren't good enough to run stuff @ full HD

--BOTTOM LINE--
I would be really glad if anyone could shed light at this problem, because I would love to run stuff at its native resolution and not at a forced one, which doesn't really bring any improvement and only costs me performance + I feel really dumb for not being able to set up a screen for it to work as intended.

Regards, George.

merrymustu

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I think re-installing your graphics drivers will do the trick. If not, you might as well try to run it with your HD 4850, or running your Acer monitor with the 560ti. This will help you troubleshoot the problem well enough to find out the real cause. Also try changing the display port which you are currently using on your graphics card, try connecting the monitor to another display port on the gpu, see if that solves the problem.

korineczek

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for the answer!
Things I did:

1 - performed a driver reinstall (did not work)
2 - performed a driver sweep, installed the newest beta drivers from nvidia (did not work)
3 - swapped DVI ports on the GPU (did not work)
4 - hooked the display to motherboard via VGA cable to pair it with the integrated gpu (did not work)
5 - hooked the Acer G24 to this computer, no success with HDMI/VGA/DVI cables
6 - hooked the samsung to my old computer with 4850, no success with HDMI-DVI/VGA

even though neither of the above proved successful, I still believe it is a software issue. Similar thing happened to me while I was editing HD video for the first time, deformed aspect ratio as well. In the end it was all about swapping pixel aspect ratio from 1:1,33 to 1:1.

I wonder if something like this can be done via the graphics card control panel. Couldn't find anything myself.