Motherboard - Asus P8z68 PRO-GEN V3
Cpu - i7-2600k
video card - XFX HD6850 1 gb
ram - 16gb (4 sticks) G.SKILL ripjaws DDR3 1600
cooler - Corsair H80
main drive - OCZ 120GB Vertex 3
OS - win7pro x64
psu - rosewill hive 650

On sunday I started having issues with my computer. It shut down and rebooted. I didn't think anything of it as it continued to run ok after that. However later in the day the reboots started happening more frequently. Then it would try to reboot but the fans would just spin and then shut down. Each time I tried to get back on, the reboots/shutdowns started occurring quicker and quicker until it would not even POST before shutdown. I shut down the computer and unplugged it.

On tuesday, I went out and bought a new psu, seasonic 750. I installed it and started up the computer and it started fine. I ran checkdisk on the drie and it came back clean. I ran norton(free from comcast) and it came back clean. I went into the event viewer and looked to see what caused the shutdowns. In it I found EVENT ID1503 (5 registry handle leaks caused by lsass.exe). Not sure what that is....I tried a google search and it seems something to do with GPO......and the computer rebooted. powered up went into safe mode and it shut down after a few minutes. Tried powering it up again and to run windows repair and it shut down as soon as it started.

I then unplugged the ssd and started the computer again. It started I went into BIOS and everything looked ok. I restored to default. I then inserted the windows install dvd, (with the ssd still unplugged) the computer started fine and was at the welcome screen. I left it for a bit since I was not looking to install, was trying to see if the ssd was corrupt. it ended up shutting down some time later.

Not sure what it may be?? Any ideas or steps I should try?

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
is the fan on your CPU cooler spinning? Sounds like it might be overheating. If the fan is still spinning, try cleaning the CPU and heatsink and reapplying the thermal paste.

could be the water pump on your h8- may have gone bad and the cpu over heating. download open hardware monitor and look at the cpu and gpu temps. also try pulling 1/2 ram out and running memtest on it. if they pass swap the ram and run the test again. if you have onbard gpu try running with just the gpu to see if your vidoe card is causing the system issue. if it not heat then it may be a bad cap on the mb.

eroz

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

turned out to be the ram. When I bought the ram I bought it as 2 pairs. Weird that it took almost 1 year for the ram to stop liking each other.

omatai

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Did you find a solution? In recent days I have experienced similar with an ASUS A6U laptop:
- working fine, then suddenly it just wants to reboot all the time.
- on reboot, it makes it so far, then usually reports an error with lsass.exe (suggesting virus issues)
- used F9 on reboot to restore Windows partition to factory defaults
- worked fine for a couple of days suggesting that the issue was indeed a virus
- occasionally gave some suspicious temperature readings (e.g. was running at 70 degrees, but with a small physical adjustment of the unit it would suddenly drop back down to 45 degrees)
- just now it showed 75 degrees, but the small physcial adjustment I made led to it jumping up to 130 degrees, and then instantly shutting down
- since doing that, it has reverted to showing errors with lsass.exe on restart :-(

So... what appear to be virus issues can actually be thermal issues... or more likely faults with temperature sensing.