Sign in with
Your question

HD5850 - 15 BSODs in 2 days!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 12:10:40 PM

Hello there and congratulations for an amazing community. I'm terribly sorry if I post this into a wrong category.

During the last couple of months, I've started getting BSOD crashes. At first, they were not so often, but the frequency kept getting bigger and bigger. After reaching a point where I got 4-5 crashes in just one day, I decided to format my PC, installing a clean version of the most stable drivers I could find. But the BSODs not only continued to appear, but the frequency reached brand new high levels - had 15 crashes in 2 days, in a formatted PC.

Let me stop here giving you my PC details:
PSU 500w Chieftec
Motherboard MSI G31M3-F
CPU Intel C2D 7300 @ 2.9Ghz
2x1 gb ram sticks, Kingston
GPU Ati Radeon HD 5850
HDD Western Digital 500GB
DVD-Writer
TV Tuner

running on Windows 7 Professional x64.

Many of the crashed entailed the following words "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", "Video Scheduler has stopped working", "Uncorrectable hardware error", "fatal error". Luckily for me, the "IRQL" error has stopped showing up after the format, leaving me only with "Video Scheduler" and "Uncorrectable hardware error". I've installed a program called BlueScreenView, to see the dump files.

The files conflicting are the following (in pairs):
"watchdog.sys" -"dxgmms1.sys" : 5 times in total, 1 of them including "tcpip.sys"
"ntoskernel.exe" - "hal.dll": 10 times in total, 1 of them including "ntfs.sys".

MemTest gives me no error, temperatures normal, S.M.A.R.T shows a healthy disk. Chkdsk no errors.
What can I do to fix all of them? Is it a hardware GPU error?

I've now just left my onboard GPU, removing the 5850, and I'm surprised that in the last hour I've got no BSOD. If it is stable for the whole day, does that mean it's the GPU? And is it hardware or it could possibly be drivers?

More about : hd5850 bsods days

a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 1:54:18 PM

More than likely a hardware issue. Can you use another PSU on your machine, Or your card in another?
July 31, 2012 2:02:21 PM

I think I *can* find another PSU, but it's like 450w. Is there gonna be a problem with my system?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 2:03:31 PM

Whats the brand? does it have a 6pin?
July 31, 2012 2:23:16 PM

I think so, although I do have adapters coming with the card.
I want to say "Corsair" but i'm not sure. Might be "Chieftec" again.

Is it possible to be something else? Like for example, RAM cards that cause this?
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 2:31:59 PM

No I dont think so because you were not having the issue when you removed the graphics card, so more than likely the cards bad or your PSU is failing.

If the other PSU doesn't have a PCIe power connector I would be reluctant to say try it, but what does it say on the side with regards to amps on the 12v rail

Edit: whilst your looking there must be a manufacturer or model number there also.
!