New Hard Drives

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
What are the exact steps when installing a newly bought hard disk? is it already with a primary partition? formatted? etc.. I am thinking in terms of first win98 and second Linux.

Zazoo.

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
After you phsically installed your new hard drive, proceed as follow:

1. Insert a bootable disk or bootable CD
2. In case of Win98 or boot from a bootable disk with DOS, run "fdisk"
3. fdisk will ask you whether you want supports for large disk --> say "yes"
4. create as many of logical disk (dos partition) as you want (1 logical disk for 1 OS).
5. Exit the "fdisk" after finish create DOS partition.
6. Proceed with installation of Win98
7. Proceed with Installation of Linux.
8. Use LILO for boot manager so you can choose between Linux and Win to boot into.

Hope this help.

Nvidia or ATI, it's all depend on what you like and system optimization :lol:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You can't install windows on a logical partition. It has to be primary dos. For Windows98 you are only allowed one primary partition. Then you can create a Extended w/ logical partitions.

If you are going to dual boot with Linux you need to make sure that you create the Primary partition for Windows arround 4GB. Then you can start the installation of Linux and use the partition manager within your distro. If you automatically partition the drive durning the Linux install you'll wipe out your Windows partition. So you will need to know how to use Disk Druid (that depends on what distro you are working with usually). In order to use Lilo as the boot manager you need to create the partitions for windows and Linux under 8GB or you will have problems when trying to partition for Linux. I'm not sure if that has changed but I'm using Red Hat 7 and that holds true with it ...

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>