Sign in with
Your question

Reinstalling to SSD?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2012 3:07:31 AM

Alright, my SSD boot drive is full. I just bought a custom built gaming rig a couple of months ago with a 40GB SSD with Windows 7 as the boot drive in conjunction with a 1TB hard drive for programs and files. Originally when I got the computer Windows 7 only took up approx 33GB of space leaving around 7GB free.

I did things to ensure the drive would not fill up such as move all the user folders (i.e. my pics, docs, videos, etc) to the 1TB drive also, I moved the page file of windows to the hard drive. However, there is something still filling up my drive because, now there is only 900MB left on the SSD so I am forced to re install windows.

My questions are these. I am scared that the information that is obviously writing to my SSD (from which I have no idea what it is) is in some way important or vital to other programs running off the 1TB hard drive and when I delete it it will affect them in some way. Is this true?

After I have done the reinstall what step and actions should I take to ensure that the drive does not fill up again so quickly? Are there any programs I can use to monitor what is being written to the SSD? Additionally, is there anything I should know about re installing windows to an SSD

SPECS:
-Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
-8GB DDR3/1600MHz
-40 GB Corsair Force Series SATA-II 3.0Gb/s SSD
-1TB SATA-III Hard Drive
-650 Watts - Corsair
-AMD Radeon HD 6850

More about : reinstalling ssd

!