Sign in with
Your question

EVGA Precision X

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 1:29:13 PM

Hi guys i just want to ask about EVGA Precision X. What will happen if i adjust a bit higher the GPU Clock Bar? Also whenever i increase it 200 mhz higher my card stopped working and the freezes and pops up a warning the my driver has stopped working. Is it bad to do it if uses most of the time? What are the effects? Also i uses it to decrease the temp of my GPU.

2nd question do you guys know any virus that make your GPU go nuts and increase in temperature?

Thnx

More about : evga precision

July 31, 2012 1:33:54 PM

What gfx card? What you are doing is referred to as "overclocking". And 200mhz is quite a bit, especially for old cards.
m
l
a c 159 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 3:21:53 PM

If you overclock the card so it crashes, you can damage the card. So yes, it's very bad to do that.

The GPU going up in temperature is probably caused by you overclocking it or a bad heatsink or cooling setup. Along with the crashing you did with overclocking, you may want to re-install the heatsink on it and apply new heat compound.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 3:40:29 PM

Increasing the clock speeds is what is called as Overclocking. You can OC a GPU, there's no problem in doing that, but unless you keep the temps below a certain limit, it can't do you any good.
Which GPU do you have right now?

You could control the fan speeds via EVGA Precision X itself, unless you're having an older card, that the manufacturers don't recommend you turn up the fan sped?
m
l
August 1, 2012 3:17:42 PM

@jonnyhchuttz - INNO3d 560TI

@hang-the-9 - Well whats the best solution to an overheating card? :(  Thats my only solution to keep the temperature down. My CPU is always clean and my card is got replaced by my supplier (since the first one got not display).

@Gman450 - Hmmm yeah so increasing it from 800 to 1000 and freezes it called OC? After it freezes i quickly press the default button so the bar go to 800 again. I got my fan customized. Please read my message to hang-the-9 too please. INNO3d 560TI

Anyway guys what should i do? My card is heating if i didn't do that method. What should i do?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 4:30:32 PM

Well, increasing the clock speeds is what is called OCing. Technically you're doing that to get more juice out of your GPU.

What are your GPU temperatures?
Simply increase the fan speeds rather than the clock speeds.
m
l
a c 159 U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 5:34:47 PM

If it's overheating, overclocking it will make it worse, overclocking INCREASES the heat generated. If it's overheating, make sure the heatsink is clean, the case is well ventilated, has enough fans in it to cool it and the card.

If it's all clean and it crashes, you can try to remove the heatsink, apply new heat grease to the chip(s) and reinstall the heatsink.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:34:28 PM

@Gman450 - and if i press default after? Will it back to normal? If i didn't do that part my GPU temp raises up to 65-70 (IDLE yeah thats right IDLE. So whenever i play the game is sh*tty and laggy). Then i do that OC thing then everything will be back to normal the temp of my GPU will be 38-45 IDLE and when playing 60-65. So it is not healthy for my GPU but i dont have other choice i cant play if i do it. Okay how to increase fan speed? Its lock at 75% on the side as i see it. thanks

hang-the-9 - mate my GPU is brand new replaced by my supplier so everything is new i also even check the thermal paste all is good. Also why is it whenever i overclock it at 60C and it freezes. The temp raises down to 38-45 while idle? Please read my answer to gman450 above for added info thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:44:53 PM

Yes, if you press default, it will go back to normal.
I'm not too sure why the GPU is OCing itself, to cause this. Might be a defect? Which divers are you using?
Is the fan control at 'auto'? If it is, I wouldn't recommend changing it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 4:37:31 PM

When overclocking by more 10-15%, you almost always need to bump up the voltage on a card to maintain a stable overclock. Make sure to read what recommended overclocks are on your card. Getting close to a 1000mhz on a 560ti is not an easy feat and requires a lot of testing and knowledge of overclocks. I wouldn't recommend anything over 930mhz if you aren't sure what you are doing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 4:42:58 PM

^Actually he isn't trying to overclock the card. He says that he needs to do this every time before playing a game, otherwise the card wold remain really hot at idle, like at 60-70C and even more hot while gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 7:11:53 PM

my head hurts... :/ 
m
l
August 3, 2012 7:42:54 AM

UPDATE: HERE'S A PIC OF MY EVGA PRECISION X. SEE THE GRAPH BELOW? DO YOU THINK ITS NORMAL? AND AS YOU SEE EVERYTHING IS BELOW 50C SO ITS NOT REALLY MY AIRFLOW SYSTEM RIGHT? DRIVER IS 296.10

@spagalicious - im not just oc'ing my GPU i do it for a reason!
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 7:47:52 AM

testrun said:
So this is the reason why you close my other thread? Well let me tell you i posted here and there and send them at the same time now reopen my other thread.

No.
m
l
!