Your question

Computer randomly shuts down after playing a high end game

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Games
  • Computers
Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2013 1:14:18 AM

Evening fellows :D  I don't know if this is the correct category, and it is my first time asking for help so bear with me

I have recently been under omega stress because of my computers need to shut itself down automatically for whatever reason when playing high end games. I have taken guesses as to what causes this, and the only things that come to mind is either the computer is getting overheated, or the drivers I have are not working.

More detail onto this:
After playing certain high graphic games, such as Guild Wars 2 or Crysis 3 Open Beta, my computer tends to shut down after playing the game for at least 10 seconds. (by that, I mean actually in game, not the menus). I don't know if it is actually the temps getting too high (the computer shuts down at around 67 c when the fan is at 85% using MSI Afterburner).

Occasionally, If I push Alt + Tab fast enough when the game freezes just before the computer shuts down, I can exit the game and be safe from harm...momentarily. The computer displays a system message saying that the Nvidea drivers had shut down, but then restarted safely. I have tried using both new and old drivers to test if that was the cause, but it had no effect. One thing that I DO know is wrong, is that I have to manually tune my fans using MSI Afterburner, because for some miraculous reason my fans do not auto tune depending on what I am doing.

My Specs:

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2900 CPU @ 3.40GHz - 4 Cores
Memory (RAM) - 8.00 GB
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Hardrive - 1 Tb
Manufacturer - Alienware (yes I know, overpriced piece of ***, I got it half price though :D )
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit
Monitor Res - 1920x1080
DirectX version - 10
Display Driver Version - 9.18.13.1090

If there is any other information you need just ask :D 

Any help or advice is appreciated, I don't know if I should bother to fix up this computer, or just get a new one.

More about : computer randomly shuts playing high end game

February 3, 2013 1:23:01 AM

Sounds like a GPU problem, as the errors indicate. I'd erase all of your existing drivers and install new ones.
m
l
!