wbolton88

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,

I have a rather basic question, I hope. I recently finished several upgrades and now I've hit a small snag on setting up my displays.

I currently have 6, Full-HD LED's that are mounted on a stand together. These are connected to a MSI Lightning 7970 pair that are crossfired.

I am aware of the eyefinity business for a full panel, but that's not really what I'm trying to do.

My setup is 3 wide by 2 tall. I am looking to set the bottom three monitors up as a single screen through eyefinity. Beyond that, I'd like to simply extend the top three so that they may remain independent and simply act as extended screen real estate.

Any suggestions or is this even possible?

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I wish this was a problem that I had.

Lol, I do not have 6 monitors to try this out on.

My first suggestion would be to set up the bottom three as an eyefinity display group.

If that goes well, can you just right click your desktop, go to screen resolution, and then extend to the other displays?

Of course, this is probably what you already tried, so sorry if it is no help. If you want to donate 6 monitors to me, I could try to help more :)

wbolton88

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Ha, it's been a long time process to get the system built up in such a way, certainly not overnight! But I do love walking into the room where it sits XD

Moreover. I have tried a few different things including setting up the top 3 as extended and creating a group of the lower thre but it as only cloned them for some reason, I still cannot seem to get it to apply the three as one. I may have to do exactly as you said and combine them in such a was as that I extend off of the eyefinity group. I'm not sure at this point.

The x-fire needs to stay as gaming is the object.

I'm a diagnostics freaking. I run the diag constantly which is why I wanted to keep it the way it is. I want the combine the bottom three and have the top group seperated. Honestly I may be able to simply extend the entire desktop but I have no idea how that will effect my desire for the three screens to combine during game play.

It's driving me nuts as we speak.

danawesome89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Well.... try it out and see what happens. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't know how that would effect using the three screens to combine during gameplay. Just give it a shot and see what happens.

Again, I think you should be able to create an eyefinity display group of the bottom three. Then I think Windows will treat that like one single display. You should be able to set that as your primary desktop, and tell the other three to extend off of it.

Of course, as I said, I can't try this out myself. So you need to simply attempt this, and then let me know what happens. The only way to know is to simply do it. So do it.