Which gpu/cpu combo will give me the best fps in games?

Gonna be building my first pc soon. Having trouble deciding which gpu/cpu combo to go with. Should I get a phenom x4 965 BE and 7950/660ti or an i5 3450 and 7870? I'm looking for recommendations based PURELY on in-game performance and which will give me the best fps when playing games on ultra/near max settings. Unfortunately, I can't really give any guidelines based on which games I'll be playing. I'll be playing anything from Minecraft and League of Legends to Battlefield 3 (multiplayer, of course).

I've heard that when building a gaming pc, skimp on the processor before the video card, so long as there is no bottleneck. Of course, I hardly call the 965 skimping. I feel it will meet my needs just fine. Sure an i5 is probably better, but I think the phenom also provides amazing bang for your bucks, especially considering its low price at 90 dollars on NCIX and that it will let me grab a beefier gpu as well.

Needless to say, right now I am partial to the phenom, but in the end its all gonna come down to which cpu and gpu will give me better fps.
12 answers Last reply
More about which combo give games
  1. give me the following

1: location
    2: budget
    3: parts not needed
    4: overclocking?
    5: crossfire or sli later on?
    6: parts not needed

ill get you something sorted out
  2. TheBigTroll said:
    give me the followi
    1: location
    2: budget
    3: parts not needed
    4: overclocking?
    5: crossfire or sli later on?
    6: parts not needed

ill get you something sorted out

1. florida
    2. low 900s
    3. I don't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse.
    4. If I get a phenom, I will probably be overclocking. If I go intel, I'll probably stick with stock speeds.
    5. I will not be going crossfire/sli. Maybe down the road, but I intend to upgrade to Haswell before that, which will require a new mobo anyways. So might as not well waste extra money on a high end motherboard right now.
    6. I DO need an operating system.
  3. not worth it to upgrade to haswell. if you do want to, id suggest getting a i3 2100

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hWIJ
  4. TheBigTroll said:
    not worth it to upgrade to haswell. if you do want to, id suggest getting a i3 2100

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hWIJ

Thank you! Looks pretty good.....How necessary is an ssd though? Does it serve any purpose other than faster boot times?
  5. It's a luxury, not a necessity. You get faster boot times and apps open faster. But, you don't get a difference in performance in games. If you really want one, then the Cyber Monday/Newegg sales on the SSDs will be insane.
  6. obsama1 said:
    It's a luxury, not a necessity. You get faster boot times and apps open faster. But, you don't get a difference in performance in games. If you really want one, then the Cyber Monday/Newegg sales on the SSDs will be insane.

Thanks for the tip. If its just a luxury and won't actually increase gaming performance, I don't feel the need to get one, not yet anyways. Like I said, I'm pretty much just looking for a statement of which of the two combinations I listed is better. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate advice and suggestions for different parts, but I have more or less made up my mind that I want one of these two builds.

Also, I'm not saying I will never get an ssd. If I can find a really fantastic deal on cyber monday, I just may go for it. But for now, I'm looking to put my money into gpu/cpu.
  7. Low $900's............ you can build a pretty mean gamer for that money and you just seem to be pissing money away on lower performing processors........ why ? screw haswell.

what's your monitor and resolution/what is the opsys ? and is it 32 or 64bit ?
  8. swifty_morgan said:
    Low $900's............ you can build a pretty mean gamer for that money and you just seem to be pissing money away on lower performing processors........ why ? screw haswell.

what's your monitor and resolution/what is the opsys ? and is it 32 or 64bit ?

Monitor res is 1080p and the operating I'll be getting is Windows 7 64 bit. Keep in mind that the operating system will be a part of the 900 dollars, so I technically have 800 dollars for the parts themselves. I probably should have mentioned that.

And yeah, I know the 965 is a "lower performing" processor, but like I said, it would let me get a better graphics card.

But like I said, I am basically just looking for a simple yes or no on one of the two combinations I listed. Which one will give me better fps when I'm gaming?
  9. Alright, you got it. NO to both because I can spend your money better!
  10. swifty_morgan said:
    Alright, you got it. NO to both because I can spend your money better!

ok, cool. Any suggestions? :)
  11. Well, any other thoughts?
  12. nope
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build GPUs Games CPUs Systems