Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radeon 12.6 driver causes increased temps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 2:46:50 PM

I recently upgraded my drivers for the Radeon 5850 from 12.6 beta to 12.6. I monitor my gpu using Msi Afterburner, and after the driver upgrade, both the temps and the gpu usage increased. While playing D3, my temps used to be 70 avg 71 max, and now they are 80 avg 83 max. I'm not sure what my gpu usage before was, but it was nowhere near 100%, and now it's always sitting at over 90%. My graphics card is dust free, and I am running at stock frequency of 725MHz. What would be causing this increase in temps and gpu usage?
August 7, 2012 11:47:58 PM

i also updated my drivers to 12.6 from 12.3 on my 58xx hd and the temps have jumped from 54c idle to 60c idle i am using an asus g73jh and the vents and fans are clear and clean so the drivers must have an issue with the temp service or running the gpu higher then normal
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:29:02 PM

Isn't that a good thing?... I mean, if it's running hotter, it means it's utilizing your gpu more... and you admit you see from 10-12 FPS performance increase... that's as effective as a decent overclock... Try to lower the temps, but I certainly wouldn't look at that as a bad thing... Just my $.02
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 4:19:02 PM

Are you using CCC to see the temps or GPU-Z to measure it ?
m
l
August 9, 2012 6:30:53 AM

cheddar said:
Isn't that a good thing?... I mean, if it's running hotter, it means it's utilizing your gpu more... and you admit you see from 10-12 FPS performance increase... that's as effective as a decent overclock... Try to lower the temps, but I certainly wouldn't look at that as a bad thing... Just my $.02

There is a purpose to thermal paste, yes, in theory an elevated temperature is a good thing, the real problem isnt if its running at 50-60 degrees, the problem is if it is ELEVATING quickly.

You should be concerned if you see it go from 50-75 degrees in a matter of minutes, unless you are running a benchmarking tool, in which case, (not sure if ti applies to others), but ive found it reasonable for it to rapidly increase in heat.
m
l

Best solution

August 9, 2012 11:19:30 AM

1. I dont think 12.6 can cause the temps to go up

2. an increase in gpu utilization means that the driver is optimizing your gpu for better resource utilization by the game

3. new installation will keep values at default settings...that means your fan speed is most likely set to 39% through AMD overdrive...you can increase your fan speed by switching to manual control... bump it up to 50% and see if the temps come down...its quiet possible that your fan was spinning faster??!!

4. where have you mentioned 10-12 fps performance increase?...have some posts been deleted?
August 19, 2012 12:09:08 AM

Best answer selected by chairman ray.
m
l
!