add programs to Recent Docs?

August 20, 2005 3:53:09 PM

I once found some kinda tweak (registry tweak?, shell extension?) that
allowed Windows to also add recently-run *programs* to my Recent
Documents list. I've Googled heavily, but can't seem to find it
anymore. Any ideas?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:27:40 PM

What would be the point of that? Recently used programs are already listed
in the start menu.

"johnnyzero" <johnbeekman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I once found some kinda tweak (registry tweak?, shell extension?) that
> allowed Windows to also add recently-run *programs* to my Recent
> Documents list. I've Googled heavily, but can't seem to find it
> anymore. Any ideas?

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:20:38 PM

You're right, by default XP pretty much places the most recently-used
apps at the top of your Programs list in the Start menu (if they're in
a sub-folder, it places that folder at the top).

However, I always disable this on any machine I use because I want my
Programs list to always remain the same (alphabetized) and not do this.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me find the tweak I'm looking
for.

thanks,
JohnB
August 21, 2005 12:27:48 PM

Found it! Someone in another Group knew the exact tweak I was
referering to:

RdocEx, by Mike Lin
http://www.mlin.net/misc.shtml

While you're there, check out Mike's other excellent gizmo's,
especially his Startup Control Panel applet.

JohnB
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:26:48 PM

Not really such a bad idea.
Especially if you have all the Windows menu animations and extra appearances
turn off.
I don't care for that stuff either.

I work around this by adding additional folders to my start menu. Such as
"MyStuff", "Games", "Music" and so-on.
Then I copy via drag-and-drop the shortcuts I want from the "(all) programs"
folder over to my new folders.
This is a manual operation and it will be up to you to maintain it. But
works great for me and I always have quick access to the things I want.
(COPY not MOVE).
I seldom use the "(all) programs" folder anymore.
Remember that if you use more than one logon user account, you may want to
apply your new start menu folders within your own profile.

Not really what your looking for I know, Just trying to help with what I
already know!
Good luck!

Richard in Va.
++++++++++++++

"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
> What would be the point of that? Recently used programs are already listed
> in the start menu.
>
> "johnnyzero" <johnbeekman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I once found some kinda tweak (registry tweak?, shell extension?) that
>> allowed Windows to also add recently-run *programs* to my Recent
>> Documents list. I've Googled heavily, but can't seem to find it
>> anymore. Any ideas?

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:44:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Richard.

Similar to what you're talking about, I always re-arrange my Programs
menu into sub-folders that make sense to me (Apps, Graphics, TeleCom,
Utilities, etc).

JohnB
!