Need a new build ASAP

Since my motherboard blew out a couple of weeks ago I find myself in the unenviable position of having to chose between replacing or redoing. At first I leaned towards replacing but decide that redoing is probably the better option.

Because this was unscheduled, money is an option so I would like to keep costs low. To accomplish this I would prefer to reuse any parts that I can, for now. My main goal is to get up and running asap because my girlfriends laptop and my old bedroom rig both suck and drive me crazy. Can anyone help me?

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: About 500 dollars before any taxes and shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Business applications (microsoft office, accounting software), surfing the internet, a little photoshop, some gaming (SWTOR and maybe borderlands 2 or something)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (CPU, mobo, RAM) **re-using Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified **

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg or any other site that has shoprunner

Parts Preferences: looking at a 2500k or a 3570k

Overclocking: Probably

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (currently have 2 older cards I want to reuse until I upgrade in a month or two)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I will be getting the graphics card around holiday time so it doesn’t need to be included into the build

Why I am Upgrading: Motherboard blew on my old i7 so I figure I may as well get a new cpu/mobo instead of just replacing the old motherboard.

These are my old parts. I want to salvage whatever is possible. The CPU I have will probably end up ebayed.

HAF 932
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3-Way SLI (blown)
Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8 MB LGA1366 (will end up ebayed)
OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz 6GB Platinum XTC
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache (two of these)
XIGMATEK Dark Knight CPU cooler
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
XFX Radeon 4890 (two of these)
I have optical drives covered
I also have a monitor and all peripherals
So it looks like I am looking for CPU, Motherboard, Ram and Cooler for 500 bucks. Am I missing anything else.
3 answers Last reply
More about need build asap
  1. Well it seems like you know what you already want. Go with the 2500K ($220) (since the CPU won't bottleneck whatever card you get unless you are going like dual 670s+ // 7970s+, in which your total build would not be appropriate) and a motherboard with two slots that have ample room for your 4890s. I am not too familiar with the size of these cards, but I'm sure any mid-priced mobo should serve you well like the following:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265
    $140

I have always had a preference for the Hyper 212+ for my CPUs but its really a preference thing:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    $30

Lastly, slap on two G. SKILLS (8 megs should do you fine) and you'll be all ready to go:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
    $42

Total: $430. If you could, please be more specific about your GPU and what specific games / resolution you tend to play them in. The rest of the applications will run more than smooth on this build (and your older build as well). Also, never hurts to toss a SSD in for your OS! TREAT YOSELF
  2. I just saw that the 3570k is only 10 dollars more than the 2500k, would I be wrong to go with that instead?
  3. nope..also you already have ddr-3 ram at 1600 speed. see if the ram on the mb qal list . if it is and there three 2g dimms pick up one one dimm of the same ram if you can too make sure your runing in 2 channel mode.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product