HD6970 crossfire issues

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2012 4:00:32 PM

Hi,

Just recently I downloaded the new 12.7 beta driver for amd. This caused numerous problems for me so I went back to the old 12.6 driver.
Now I have some other problems:

I can't seem to get crossfire enabled in mw3... Don't know why, i tried forcing it on trough ccc with a custom profile, no result. Oh and if you wonder why i need crossfire in this game: i have everything on ultra high quality through ccc and it does take 100% of 1 gpu power to get around 40 fps.

In Skyrim Crossfire is enabled but it doesn't work for ****. The problem is that I get a VRAM overload when using cf. When I have only one GPU enabled, there's no VRAM overload, only +/- 1600MB of VRAM used.

I use msi afterburner to monitor, and also updated to the new version together with the ccc update.

Any suggestions/ thoughts?

Thanks

More about : hd6970 crossfire issues

a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 4:47:31 PM

Make sure everything is connected as it should be.

1) Download Driver Sweeper here.
2) Download Catalyst 12.6 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Download CAP HERE.
4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
5) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.
7) Install the CAP profile and reboot.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 5:12:19 PM

Russ, you do realize that the CAP is for driver version 12.7, right? Im not asking to sound snooty, I have never used CAP, so I was unsure if it would work with CCC version 12.6.
Score
Related resources
July 31, 2012 6:19:20 PM

Ok, I did this, problem solved, dunno about vram issues in Skyrim though. That is something different I think. Guess I'll just remove some texture packs! Thanks for your help! (didn't install the cap)
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 10:21:23 PM

Install the CAP (Catalyst Application Profiles). It contains all of AMD's (current and previous) fixes for games, notably CrossFire. Don't install it and I'll guarantee you'll have issues esp. in Skyrim.

@ dalmvern

I know it's a 12.7 CAP as it's AMD's current release HERE.

Quote:
AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 12.7 CAP1 6/28/2012

Description:

This release of AMD Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest AMD CrossFireX™ profiles. A separate executable file ensures users have access to the latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

New profiles added to this release:
- Diablo 3: Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing and Super Sample Anti-Aliasing can now be enabled for this title through the Catalyst Control Center for single and multi-GPU configurations
- Call of Duty: World at War: Resolve corruption when enabling Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center on single GPU configurations
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – further improvements to CrossFire performance
- Myths and Heroes 3: Improves CrossFire performance
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown : Improves CrossFire performance
- Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Future Soldier: Improves CrossFire performance and resolves flickering seen when running in CrossFire mode

Quote:
I can't seem to get crossfire enabled in mw3

Because you need the CAP profiles.

BTW I run 2 x 6990's and have the driver install's figured to perfection.
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 11:40:39 PM

+1 RussK1
OP would be smart to listen to a man with experience in CFing HD 6900s
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 1:32:46 AM

+1 to RussK, agreed OP needs CAP profiles
Score
August 1, 2012 10:17:53 AM

Ok, so I installed the latest CAP profiles and skyrim is smooth again. It's just that I always thought those profiles were included in the ccc update/install. But again thanks for the help!

I'll probably get me a Nvidia card though next time, seems their drivers are way better. There's still all this annoying flickering in the distance in skyrim and on the menu. Having to look for solutions all the freakin time kinda sucks
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 3:33:31 PM

It is a nice thing on Toms to select a Best Answer for a post that helped solved the problem
you will see a Best Answer "button" on each of the answering posts
I nominate Russk1 for Best Answer IMHO
I am glad it worked out for you
Score
August 2, 2012 11:47:21 AM

I know, but i opened a discussion so this is not possible, but hereby

SELECTED BEST ANSWER "Russk1"

Thank you very much

Consider this topic closed!
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 11:55:32 AM